BR Bullpen:News Archive
This is an archive of items that were featured on the Main Page as part of Current Events.
- June 12: California high school shortstop Royce Lewis is the first overall pick in the 2017 amateur draft, by the Minnesota Twins.
- June 11: Norichika Aoki joins the meikyukai.
- June 11: Curaçao Neptunus Rotterdam wins the 2017 European Cup. Gianison Boekhoudt is named MVP.
- June 6: Scooter Gennett becomes the 17th player in major league history to have a four-homer game.
- June 4: West Chester University of Pennsylvania wins the 2017 Division II College World Series.
- June 3: Albert Pujols becomes the 9th major league player to hit 600 home runs.
- June 3: Edinson Volquez pitches the first no-hitter of the major league season.
- May 30: California Lutheran University wins the 2017 Division III College World Series.
- May 26: Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Bunning, who later served in Congress as both a Representative and a Senator, passes away at age 85.
- April 26: Gift Ngoepe debuts for the Pirates, becoming the first major leaguer from Africa.
- April 25: Yuki Matsui becomes the 17th NPB player and first Rakuten Golden Eagles pitcher to strike out the side on nine pitches.
- April 24: Dovydas Neverauskas becomes the first major leaguer from Lithuania.
- March 22: The United States win the 2017 World Baseball Classic, defeating Puerto Rico, 8-0, in the final game. Marcus Stroman is named tournament MVP.
- March 20: The Baseball Australia Hall of Fame announces its 2017 class: John Stephens, Wally Buchanan and Bob Ossey.
- February 11: The Brisbane Bandits win the 2016-2017 Australian Baseball League, defending their title. Logan Wade is chosen as finals MVP.
- February 7: The Criollos de Caguas win the 2017 Caribbean Series, defeating the Aguilas de Mexicali, 1-0 in 10 innings in the finale. David Vidal is named Caribbean Series MVP.
- February 3: The Caribbean Baseball Hall of Fame inducts Vinny Castilla, Erubiel Durazo, Miguel Flores, Benjamin Reyes, Juan Manuel Ley and Alfonso Bojorquez.
- February 2: Roy Halladay, Vladimir Guerrero, Ray Carter, Doug Hudlin and the 2015 Canadian National Team are inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame.
- January 28: The Tigres del Licey win their 22nd Dominican League title, extending their record.
- January 28: The Águilas de Mexicali win the Mexican Pacific League championship for the first time this century.
- January 25: The Águilas del Zulia take their first Venezuelan League pennant in 17 years.
- January 25: The Criollos de Caguas win the Puerto Rican League title, their 17th.
- January 22: Granma wins the 2016-2017 Cuban Serie Nacional title for their first championship.
- January 22: 25-year-old Kansas City Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura and former top prospect Andy Marte, 33, die in separate automobile accidents on the same day in the Dominican Republic.
- January 18: Tim Raines is elected to the Hall of Fame by the BBWAA in his 10th and final year of eligibility; joining him are Jeff Bagwell and Ivan Rodriguez.
- January 16: Tsutomu Itoh, Senichi Hoshino, Masaji Hiramatsu, Hiroshi Goshi and Mirei Suzuki are voted into the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame in the 2017 vote.