|September 27: Today's featured birthday is that of Gary Sutherland, who turns 79.
- 1914 - Nap Lajoie doubles for his 3,000th major league hit. He becomes the second player to reach that exalted level.
- 1940 - In a major mismatch, Floyd Giebell beats future Hall of Famer Bob Feller, 2-1, to give his Tigers the pennant over the Indians.
- 1963 - The Colt .45's start a lineup of nine rookies, including Joe Morgan, Jimmy Wynn, Rusty Staub (pictured) and Jerry Grote. They lose, 10-3.
- 1973 - Nolan Ryan whiffs 16 in 11 innings to give him 383 strikeouts, breaking Sandy Koufax's major league record for a season.
- 2000 - In an upset, Team USA beats the Cuban national team, 4-0, in the Gold Medal game of the 2000 Olympics. Ben Sheets throws a three-hitter, with Omar Linares getting two of the hits, while Ernie Young drives in two. Mike Neill's 1st-inning home run off Pedro Luis Lazo gives the US all the offense it needs.
Recent days: September 26 – September 25 – September 24