4/19/2018, From the management: We have moved the Bullpen over to its new permanent server setup. It's a bit much to explain here, but I think it's working mostly. We have an issue where some requests are blocked due to too many images on a page. I'm working on fixing that issue today. Please let me know on User_talk:Admin if you see any issues. Thank you as always for your support.
1949 World Series
(Redirected from 1949 WS)
The 1949 World Series featured the New York Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers, with the Yankees winning in five games for their second defeat of the Dodgers in three years, and the 12th championship in team history. This victory would start a record run of five consecutive World Series championships by the Yankees.
History was made in the 9th inning of Game 5, when the Ebbets Field lights were turned on, making it the first World Series game finished under artificial lights. The first scheduled Series night game would not be held until 1971.
Television: NBC (Jim Britt announcing)
|1||October 5||Brooklyn Dodgers||0||New York Yankees||1||1-0||66,224|
|2||October 6||Brooklyn Dodgers||1||New York Yankees||0||1-1||70,053|
|3||October 7||New York Yankees||4||Brooklyn Dodgers||3||2-1||32,788|
|4||October 8||New York Yankees||6||Brooklyn Dodgers||4||3-1||33,934|
|5||October 9||New York Yankees||10||Brooklyn Dodgers||6||4-1||33,711|
- Sol Gittleman: Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat: New York's Big Three and the Great Yankee Dynasty of 1949-1953, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2007.
- David S. Neft and Richard M. Cohen: The World Series, 1st ed., St Martins Press, New York, NY, 1990, pp. 225-229.
- 1949 World Series at WorldSeries.com (MLB.com)
- 1949 World Series at Baseball-Almanac.com
- 1949 World Series box scores and play-by-play at Retrosheet.org
|Modern Major League Baseball World Series
Pre-1903 Postseason Series