4/19/2018, From the management: We have moved the Bullpen over to its new permanent server setup. It's a bit much to explain here, but I think it's working mostly. We have an issue where some requests are blocked due to too many images on a page. I'm working on fixing that issue today. Please let me know on User_talk:Admin if you see any issues. Thank you as always for your support.
1921 New York Yankees
(Redirected from 1921 Yankees)
| 1921 New York Yankees |
|Major league affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Jacob Ruppert and Tillinghast L'Hommedieu Huston|
Won AL Pennant
Managed by Miller Huggins
History, Comments, Contributions
The 1921 New York Yankees played their 19th season in New York and their 21st overall. Theym finished with a record of 98-55, winning the first pennant in franchise history, winning the American League by 4 1/2 games over the previous year's champion, the Cleveland Indians. New York was managed by Miller Huggins. Home games were played at the Polo Grounds.
With star slugger Babe Ruth hitting 59 home runs, setting a new major league home run record for the third consecutive year, while also having probably his greatest overall season statistically, the Yankees appeared to be the team to beat in the World Series. Their landlords, the New York Giants, had rebuilt after slipping a bit in the late 1910s, and had won the National League pennant. For the first time, all the games of a World Series would be held in the same ballpark. The best-of-9 Series (the last played under the format before returning to the best-of-7 format) saw the Yankees take a 3 games to 1 lead, but Ruth suffered a serious injury that took him out of the remaining games, save for one pinch-hitting appearance, and the Giants rallied to win the Series, 5 games to 3.
|New York Yankees||98||55||.641||--|
|St. Louis Browns||81||73||.526||17½|
|Boston Red Sox||75||79||.487||23½|
|Chicago White Sox||62||92||.403||36½|
|1||October 5||New York Yankees||3||New York Giants||0||0-1||30,202|
|2||October 6||New York Giants||0||New York Yankees||3||0-2||34,939|
|3||October 7||New York Yankees||5||New York Giants||13||1-2||36,509|
|4||October 9 ‡||New York Giants||4||New York Yankees||2||2-2||36,372|
|5||October 10 ‡||New York Yankees||3||New York Giants||1||2-3||35,758|
|6||October 11 ‡||New York Giants||8||New York Yankees||5||3-3||34,238|
|7||October 12 ‡||New York Yankees||1||New York Giants||2||4-3||36,503|
|8||October 13 ‡||New York Giants||1||New York Yankees||0||5-3||25,410|
|New York Giants win 5-3|
- Gary Sarnoff: The First Yankees Dynasty: Babe Ruth, Miller Huggins and the Bronx Bombers of the 1920s, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2014. ISBN 978-0-7864-4966-8
- Lyle Spatz and Steve Steinberg: 1921: The Yankees, the Giants, and the Battle for Baseball Supremacy in New York, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, 2010. ISBN 978-0803239999
- Lyle Spatz and Steve Steinberg: "1921: The Yankees, the Giants, and the Battle for Baseball Supremacy in New York" (extract), The Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Vol. 38, Nr. 2 (Fall 2009), pp. 9-19.
- 1921 New York Yankees team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
- Yankees game log courtesy baseball-almanac.com
- 1921 New York Yankees