New York Giants
Dec. 6, 1882-Sept. 29, 1957
Regular Season Record: 6067-4898-150-7 (.552)
Post Season Record:
- (1882-1957) 55-48-2 (.533)
- (1905-1957) 39-41-2 (.488)
Ballparks: Polo Grounds I (May 1, 1883-October 13, 1888), Oakdale Park, Jersey City, NY (April 24-25, 1889), St. George Cricket Grounds, Staten Island (April 29-June 14, 1889), Polo Grounds II (July 8, 1889-September 13, 1890), Polo Grounds III (April 22, 1891-April 13, 1911), Hilltop Park (April 15-May 30, 1911), Polo Grounds IV (June 28, 1911-September 29, 1957)
The New York Giants began their franchise history as part of the National League in 1883, occupying the spot that had been vacated by the dissolution of the Troy Trojans. They also acquired the heart of the Trojans team, and as a result many sources consider that Troy relocated to New York, although that was not the case: there was no direct connection between the two teams. The players who moved over from Troy for the 1883 season include 1B Roger Connor, 3B (later C) Buck Ewing and Ps Tim Keefe and Mickey Welch - all four future Hall of Famers. There had been another National league team in New York, NY previously, the New York Mutuals, but they only lasted the 1876 season.
They were first known as the New York Gothams. In 1885 they started to be known by the name that endures to this day, the Giants. In 1958 they relocated to San Francisco at the same time as the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles.
- Robert W. Cohen: The 50 Greatest Players in San Francisco/New York Giants History, Skyhorse Publishing, Sports Publishing LLC, New York, NY, 2017. ISBN 9781613219997
- Frank DeFord: The Old Ball Game, Atlantic Monthly Press, New York, NY, 2005.
- Dan Fost: Giants Past & Present, MVP Books, Osceola, WI, 2010.
- Andrew Goldblatt: The Giants and the Dodgers: Four Cities, Two Teams, One Rivalry, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2003.
- Noel Hynd: The Giants of the Polo Grounds: The Glorious Times of Baseball's New York Giants, Revised and Expanded Edition, Red Cat Tales Publishing LLC, Los Angeles, CA, 2018. ISBN 9781727040975 (original edition published in 1988)
- Roger Kahn: The Era, 1947-1957: When the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers Ruled the World, Bison Books, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, 2002 (originally published in 1993). ISBN 0803278055
- Joe Konte: Giants vs. Dodgers: The Coast-to-Coast History of the Rivalry Heard ’Round the World, Sports Publishing, New York, NY, 2017. ISBN 978-1683580447 (originally published in 2013)
- Robert E. Murphy: After Many a Summer: The Passing of the Giants and Dodgers and a Golden Age in New York Baseball, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, 2013. ISBN 978-0-8032-4573-0
- Peter Filichia: Green Cathedrals: The Ultimate Celebrations of All 273 Major League and Negro League Ballparks Past and Present, Addison Wesley Publishing Company (March 1993)