Hank Aaron Award

From BR Bullpen

The Hank Aaron Award is an annual award in awarded to the top hitter in each Major League Baseball league. It was created in 1999 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Hank Aaron surpassing Babe Ruth on the career home run list. It was the first MLB award named for a living player.

Voting System[edit]

In the award's first year an objective points system was used where hits, home runs and runs batted in were each given certain point values and the winner was the player who had the highest points total. In 2000, the award switched to a ballot system; each club's radio and television play-by-play broadcasters and color analysts were allowed to vote for three players in a ranked ballot. For each first-place vote a player receives five points; second-place vote, three points; and third-place vote, one point. The winner is the player with the highest point total. In 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote through the MLB.com website with the vote accounting for 30 percent of the points, with media voting comprising the remaining 70 percent.

Award Winners[edit]

Year American League National League
Player Team Player Team
1999 Manny Ramirez Cleveland Indians Sammy Sosa Chicago Cubs
2000 Carlos Delgado Toronto Blue Jays Todd Helton Colorado Rockies
2001 Alex Rodríguez Texas Rangers Barry Bonds San Francisco Giants
2002 Alex Rodríguez Texas Rangers Barry Bonds San Francisco Giants
2003 Alex Rodríguez Texas Rangers Albert Pujols St. Louis Cardinals
2004 Manny Ramirez Boston Red Sox Barry Bonds San Francisco Giants
2005 David Ortiz Boston Red Sox Andruw Jones Atlanta Braves
2006 Derek Jeter New York Yankees Ryan Howard Philadelphia Phillies
2007 Alex Rodríguez New York Yankees Prince Fielder Milwaukee Brewers
2008 Kevin Youkilis Boston Red Sox Aramis Ramirez Chicago Cubs
2009 Derek Jeter New York Yankees Albert Pujols St. Louis Cardinals
2010 Jose Bautista Toronto Blue Jays Joey Votto Cincinnati Reds
2011 Jose Bautista Toronto Blue Jays Matt Kemp Los Angeles Dodgers
2012 Miguel Cabrera Detroit Tigers Buster Posey San Francisco Giants
2013 Miguel Cabrera Detroit Tigers Paul Goldschmidt Arizona Diamondbacks
2014 Mike Trout Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Giancarlo Stanton Miami Marlins
2015 Josh Donaldson Toronto Blue Jays Bryce Harper Washington Nationals
2016 David Ortiz Boston Red Sox Kris Bryant Chicago Cubs
2017 Jose Altuve Houston Astros Giancarlo Stanton Miami Marlins
2018 J.D. Martinez Boston Red Sox Christian Yelich Milwaukee Brewers
2019 Mike Trout Los Angeles Angels Christian Yelich Milwaukee Brewers

External Links[edit]