2016 Amateur Draft
The draft was considered particularly open, with no clear top pick. Up until the moment the Philadelphia Phillies announced they had selected high school outfielder Mickey Moniak first overall, as many as six players were considered to be in the running for the honor, including Corey Ray, A.J. Puk, Kyle Lewis, Jason Groome and Riley Pint. A couple of other players, including number 2 pick Nick Senzel, were considered to have equal talent without necessarily being under consideration by the Phillies.
Because a number of teams lost their first-round pick as a result of signing Type A free agents, and because no team had failed to sign its first-round selection in 2015, which would have resulted in an equivalent pick this year as compensation, there were only 23 picks in the first round proper - the fewest since 1968.
Compensation Round A
Competitive Balance Round A
|35||Cincinnati Reds||Taylor Trammell||OF||Mount Paran Christian School (HS)||Kennesaw, GA|
|36||Los Angeles Dodgers||Jordan Sheffield||P||Vanderbilt University (Col.)||Tullahoma, TN||for failure to sign Kyle Funkhouser|
|37||Oakland Athletics||Daulton Jefferies||P||University of California, Berkeley (Col.)||Atwater, CA|
|38||Colorado Rockies||Robert Tyler||P||University of Georgia (Col.)||Cordele, GA|
|39||Arizona Diamondbacks||Anfernee Grier||OF||Auburn University (Col.)||Phenix City, AL|
|40||Atlanta Braves||Joey Wentz||P||Shawnee Mission East High School (HS)||Prairie Village, KS||via trade with Marlins|
|41||Pittsburgh Pirates||Nick Lodolo||P||Damien High School (HS)||La Verne, CA||Did not sign|
OF Austin Hays, a third-round selection by the Baltimore Orioles, was the first player from the draft to reach the major leagues, making his debut on September 7, 2017. Number 25 pick Eric Lauer made it to the majors at the end of April in 2018. In May of 2019, Cal Quantrill became the first player from the 1st round proper to make the grade, beating out Nick Senzel by only a couple of days.
- Jim Callis: "Draft: Pick-by-pick, first-round analysis", mlb,com, June 10, 2016. 
- Anthony Castrovince: "Epic picks: Draft delivers awe, intrigue", mlb,com, June 10, 2016. 
- Jonathan Mayo: "Final impressions shaking up Draft in latest mock", mlb.com, May 26, 2016. 
- Jonathan Mayo: "Which Draft picks will reach Majors quickest?", mlb.com, June 10, 2016. 
- Jonathan Mayo: "Inbox: Top 5 picks in a redo of 2016 Draft?", mlb.com, December 28, 2017. 
- Frankie Pillere: "Draft prep: Top 30 baseball prospects in June draft", USA Today Sports, May 17, 2016.