2002 Korea Baseball Organization
The 2002 Korea Baseball Organization season was the 21st KBO season. Seung-yeop Lee, first baseman of the Samsung Lions, was the big story, though not as big as he would be in 2003. Lee led the KBO in both home runs and RBI and was named MVP for the fourth time. That broke the record of Dong-yol Son, who had been a three-time MVP. Like Son, Lee would spend the majority of his remaining career in Japan. Samsung went on to win its first title in 17 years. Including Lee, they had half of the league's award-winners as best at their position with C Kab-yong Jin, 3B Han-soo Kim, SS Tilson Brito and DH Hae-yong Ma.
The following players won Gold Gloves, which in the KBO go to the best overall player at each position are not a defensive (only) award.
- P: Jin-woo Song, Hanwha Eagles
- C: Kab-yong Jin, Samsung Lions
- 1B: Seung-yeop Lee, Samsung Lions
- 2B: Jong-kook Kim, KIA Tigers
- 3B: Han-soo Kim, Samsung Lions
- SS: Tilson Brito, Samsung Lions
- OF: Jong-beom Lee, KIA Tigers
- OF: Jong-soo Shim, Hyundai Unicorns
- OF: Ji-man Song, Hanwha Eagles
- DH: Hae-yong Ma, Samsung Lions
- Samsung Lions, 82-47-4
- KIA Tigers, 78-51-4
- Hyundai Unicorns, 70-58-5
- LG Twins, 66-61-6
- Doosan Bears, 66-65-2
- SK Wyverns, 61-69-3
- Hanwha Eagles, 59-69-5
- Lotte Giants, 35-97-1
Playoffs: LG def. KIA, 3 games to 2. LG def. Hyundai, 2 games to 0.
2002 Korean Series: Samsung def. LG, 4 games to 2.
- Average - Sung-ho Jang, KIA, .343
- Home Runs - Seung-yeop Lee, Samsung, 47
- RBI - Seung-yeop Lee, 126
- Steals - Jong-kook Kim, KIA, 50