Robert Ralph Skinner
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 6' 4", Weight 190 lb.
- High School La Jolla High School
- Debut April 13, 1954
- Final Game September 24, 1966
- Born October 3, 1931 in La Jolla, CA USA
Bob Skinner is the father of Joel Skinner. He and his son are one of only two pairs of fathers and sons who both were big league managers. The other pair is George Sisler and son Dick Sisler. Steve Carlton played with both Bob and Joel Skinner.
Skinner played professionally from 1951 to 1966, missing the 1952 and 1953 seasons due to military service during the Korean War.
Skinner was then a long-time big league coach. He was with the big league San Diego Padres (1970-1973), the Pittsburgh Pirates (1974-1976), the Padres again (1977), also serving as interim manager for one game, the California Angels (1978), the Pirates again (1979-1985), and the Atlanta Braves (1986-1988).
- 2-time NL All-Star (1958 & 1960)
- 20-Home Run Seasons: 1 (1962)
- Won two World Series with the Pittsburgh Pirates (1960) and the St. Louis Cardinals (1964)
|Philadelphia Phillies Manager
Year-By-Year Managerial Record
|1967||San Diego Padres||Pacific Coast League||85-63||1st||Philadelphia Phillies||League Champs|
|1968||San Diego Padres||Pacific Coast League||31-28||--||Philadelphia Phillies||replaced by Bobby Klaus|
|Philadelphia Phillies||National League||48-59||7th||Philadelphia Phillies||replaced Gene Mauch (27-27) and George Myatt (1-0) on June 16|
|1969||Philadelphia Phillies||National League||44-64||--||Philadelphia Phillies||--||replaced by George Myatt on August 8|
|1977||San Diego Padres||National League||1-0||--||San Diego Padres||--||interim between John McNamara and Alvin Dark on May 29|
|1989||Tucson Toros||Pacific Coast League||56-86||10th||Houston Astros|
|1990||Tucson Toros||Pacific Coast League||71-71||6th||Houston Astros|
|1991||Tucson Toros||Pacific Coast League||79-61||2nd||Houston Astros||League Champs|
|1992||Tucson Toros||Pacific Coast League||70-74||6th||Houston Astros|
- Joseph Wancho: "Bob Skinner", in Clifton Blue Parker and Bill Nowlin, ed.: Sweet '60: The 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2013, pp. 178-182. ISBN 978-1-93359-948-9