We apologize for temporary issues with the appearance or functionality of this site. They are being addressed.
2021 Cincinnati Reds
Managed by David Bell
History, Comments, Contributions
In a forgettable season that saw the 2021 Cincinnati Reds fall out of contention in September after being in position to claim the second wild card slot in the National League for most of the year, the team set a modern major league mark when their batters were hit by pitch 105 times. This was far off the all-time mark of 160 set by the 1898 Baltimore Orioles, but still the highest total by any team since 1900. However, this was part of a trend of hit-by-pitch numbers going up all around the major leagues, and the record did not even last one full year, being bettered by the 2022 New York Mets.
Awards and Honors
- All-Stars: Nick Castellanos and Jesse Winker
- NL Rookie of the Year: Jonathan India
- NL Silver Slugger Award: Nick Castellanos (OF)
- Topps All-Star Rookie Team: Jonathan India (2B) and Tyler Stephenson (C)
- Shanthi Sepe-Chepuru: "This team can shake up the NL playoff race", mlb.com, August 11, 2021.