2004 Korea Baseball Organization
(Redirected from 2004 KBO)
The 2004 Korea Baseball Organization was the 23rd KBO season. The Hyundai Unicorns won their fourth Korean Series in seven years, but it would be their last title. The Series had three ties, drawing much criticism from fans both in Korea and elsewhere for not adjusting the tie rules for the season's final event. The season was marred by scandal as over 50 players were found to have faked medical problems to exempt themselves from military service.
The KBO MVP was Young-soo Bae, a pitcher for the Samsung Lions, the first pitcher to win in eight years; pitchers would take the award the four following seasons. The KBO Rookie of the Year was Jae-young Oh, a Hyundai Unicorns pitcher.
The following players won Gold Gloves, which in the KBO go to the best overall player at each position are not a defensive (only) award. It was the first time that one team won all four infield slots; Samsung players got six of the 12 honors, while first-place Hyundai had just one.
- P: Young-soo Bae, Samsung Lions
- C: Seong-heun Hong, Doosan Bears
- 1B: Joon-hyuk Yang, Samsung Lions
- 2B: Jong-ho Park, Samsung Lions
- 3B: Han-soo Kim, Samsung Lions
- SS: Jin-man Park, Hyundai Unicorns
- OF: Cliff Brumbaugh, Hyundai Unicorns
- OF: Byung-kyu Lee, LG Twins
- OF: Jin-young Lee, SK Wyverns
- OF: Han-lee Park, Samsung Lions
- DH: Ki-tae Kim, SK Wyverns
- Hyundai Unicorns, 75-53-5
- Samsung Lions, 73-52-8
- Doosan Bears, 70-62-1
- KIA Tigers, 67-61-5
- SK Wyverns, 61-64-8
- LG Twins, 59-70-4
- Hanwha Eagles, 53-74-6
- Lotte Giants, 50-72-11
Playoffs: Doosan def. KIA, 2 games to 0, Samsung def. Doosan, 3 games to 2.
2004 Korean Series: Hyundai def. Samsung, 4 games to 2 with three ties.
- Average - Cliff Brumbaugh, Hyundai .343
- Home Runs - Kyung-wan Park, SK 34
- RBI - Ho-joon Lee, SK 112
- Steals - Jun-ho Jeon, Hyundai 53