James Joseph O'Connell
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10½", Weight 175 lb.
- School Santa Clara University
- Debut April 17, 1923
- Final Game September 28, 1924
- Born February 11, 1901 in Sacramento, CA USA
- Died November 11, 1976 in Bakersfield, CA USA
Jimmy O'Connell offered Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Heinie Sand $500 to throw a game on September 27, 1924. When questioned by Commissioner Landis, O'Connell said that he was told by coach Cozy Dolan to make the offer. Dolan's response to each question was "I don't remember." Both men were banned.
O'Connell's confession also implicated Frankie Frisch, Ross Youngs, and George Kelly. Commissioner Landis heard testimony from all three men and believed they had nothing to do with the attempted fix.