2019 Milwaukee Brewers
2019 Milwaukee Brewers / Franchise: Milwaukee Brewers / BR Team Page
Managed by Craig Counsell
History, Comments, Contributions
The 2019 Milwaukee Brewers, coming off a season during which they had put up the best record in the National League in 2018, were a disappointment for most of the season, unable to play consistent winning baseball. Returning to the postseason looked like a long shot at the end of August, when they were 69-66 and 6 1/2 games out of first place, but they got everything together in September, when they won 19 of their first 23 games to clinch a postseason slot. They had also managed to pull within one game of the division-leading St. Louis Cardinals with three games left to play. Even more remarkable was that they achieved this after their best player and leading MVP contender Christian Yelich had been lost for the season following a freakish injury - fouling a ball off his knee and breaking his kneecap on September 10th. In the end they fell short of the first-place Cardinals by a couple of games but still won the second wild card slot in the National League to return to the postseason. It was only the second time in franchise history that they had managed back-to-back postseason appearances, following the 1981 and 1982 teams.
Awards and Honors
- All-Stars: Yasmani Grandal, Josh Hader, Mike Moustakas, Brandon Woodruff and Christian Yelich
- Trevor Hoffman Award: Josh Hader
- NL Gold Glove: Lorenzo Cain (CF)
- NL Silver Slugger Award: Christian Yelich (OF)
- 2019 Topps All-Star Rookie Team: Keston Hiura (2B)
- Associated Press: "Yelich, Brewers focus on clean slate after near-miss in 2018", USA Today, February 18, 2019. 
- Tom Haudricourt: "A daunting trip awaits, but the Brewers took advantage of the competition to get hot in time", USA Today, May 8, 2019. 
- Tom Haudricourt: "Against all odds, the Brewers' Boys of September kept pushing to earn a playoff berth", USA Today, September 25, 2019. 
- Adam McCalvy: "Torrid September sends Crew back to playoffs", mlb.com, September 26, 2019.