Mike Ryan (ryanmi02)
Michael James Ryan
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 2", Weight 205 lb.
- High School St. James High School (Haverhill)
- Debut October 3, 1964
- Final Game September 10, 1974
- Born November 25, 1941 in Haverhill, MA USA
- Died July 7, 2020 in Wolfeboro, NH USA
Mike Ryan was a backup catcher with the Boston Red Sox and Philadelphia Phillies in the 1960s and 1970s. He hit just .193 in his major league career, finishing up with 15 games for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1974.
He was an outstanding defensive catcher, tied with Randy Hundley for the National League lead in assists in 1969, although Randy played in 19 more games. He was the Pirates' third catcher in 1974, something no major league team does today, playing behind Manny Sanguillen and Ed Kirkpatrick.
Year-by-Year Managerial Record
|1975||Charleston Pirates||Western Carolinas League||45-96||4th||Pittsburgh Pirates|
|1976||Charleston Patriots||Western Carolinas League||59-80||3rd||Pittsburgh Pirates|
|1977||Oklahoma City 89ers||American Association||28-26||4th (t)||Philadelphia Phillies||replaced Cal Emery (42-39) and Bill Connors (0-1)|
|1978||Oklahoma City 89ers||American Association||62-74||7th||Philadelphia Phillies|
- Dave Williams: "Mike Ryan", in Bill Nowlin and Dan Desrochers, eds.: The 1967 Impossible Dream Red Sox: 'Pandemonium on the Field', SABR, Rounder Books, Burlington, MA, 2007, pp. 95-99. ISBN 978-1-5794-0141-2