The name the Cleveland Indians went by between 1903 and 1914 which coincided with Napoleon Lajoie’s tenure with the club. In 1903 the club changed its name from the Cleveland Bronchos to the Naps, as a result of a readers' poll by the Cleveland Press, in honor of Lajoie. From 1905 to 1909, Lajoie served as player/manager. The team’s best year, came in 1908 when the team finished a ½ game out of first place with a 90-64-3 record. Other big stars for the team were pitcher Addie Joss and outfielder Elmer Flick. When Lajoie left the team, owner Charles Somers officially renamed the team the Cleveland Indians, a name it has retained ever since.
- Russell Schneider: The Cleveland Indians Encyclopedia, Temple University Press, Philadelphia, PA, 1996