(Redirected from Bill Meyer)
William Adam Meyer
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 170 lb.
- Debut September 6, 1913
- Final Game September 18, 1917
- Born January 14, 1892 in Knoxville, TN USA
- Died March 31, 1957 in Knoxville, TN USA
Billy Meyer managed the Louisville Colonels from 1926 to 1928. In 1932, he entered the New York Yankees minor league system where he would stay for the next 16 years. Among his stops were the Kansas City Blues (1938-1941 and 1946-1947) and Newark Bears (1942-1945). By 1946 Meyer was considered the likely replacement for Joe McCarthy with the Yankees . He instead moved up to manage the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1948 to 1952.
Overall, his minor league teams were 1605-1325 in 19 seasons. In 1949 he was elected to the International League Hall of Fame.
- ML Manager of the Year Award (1948)
|Pittsburgh Pirates Manager