2020 Taiwan Series
The 2020 Taiwan Series featured the Chinatrust Brothers against the Uni-President Lions. Unlike other finals in the baseball world (like the World Series), the Taiwan Series was able to play to a fairly large (78% capacity) crowd as COVID-19 was well under control, with over 200 days with no locally transmitted cases. The Lions won their 10th title, but first in 7 years. Veteran outfielder Wu-Hsiung Pan won the Taiwan Series MVP.
The Lions were 26-34 in the first half of the 2020 CPBL but 32-27-1 to win the second half. They were managed by Yueh-Ping Lin. They were led by their outfielders, all of whom made the Best Ten. Rookie sensation An-Ko Lin (.310/.395/.590) led the league in homers (32) and RBI (99), Chieh-Hsien Chen (.359/.419/.461, 99 R, 21 SB) won the batting title and Chih-Chieh Su (.313/.394/.594) led with 104 runs and was second with 28 homers and 98 RBI. The top two starting pitchers did not qualify for the ERA title: Tim Melville (4-3, 2.93) and Teddy Stankiewicz (6-0, 3.81). Yun-Wen Chen (5-2, 23 Sv, 2.09) tied for the save lead.
Under skipper Chang-Jung Chiu, the Brothers had gone 37-23 to win the first half and nearly won the second half at 32-28. José De Paula (16-9, 3.20, 192 K) won the pitching Triple Crown and Ariel Miranda (10-8, 3.80) tied for 3rd in wins and 3rd in ERA. C.C. Lee (1-4, 23 Sv, 3.86) tied for the save lead and was joined in the bullpen by Chun-Wei Wu (3-3, 3.08) and Kai-Wen Cheng (1-3, 2 Sv, 3.11). 39-year-old DH Ssu-Chi Chou hit .324/.386/.589, 1B Chi-Hung Hsu batted .332/.389/.556 and OF Chi-Hao Chang (.298/.373/.564) tied for 3rd with 27 homers.
- October 31: Lions 4, Brothers 2. The Brothers' Esmil Rogers and Brock Dykxhoorn traded goose eggs for five. It was 1-1 entering the 10th when Wu-Hsiung Pan smacked a 3-run homer, the first pinch-hit extra-inning homer in Series history, taking Kai-Wen Cheng deep for the winning blow.
- November 1: Brothers 9, Lions 1. De Paula allowed only four hits and one run in eight innings to beat Melville and tie the Series. Wei-Ta Su hit a pinch-hit three-run shot for the Brothers.
- November 3: Brothers 5, Lions 1. Miranda goes the distance, fanning nine and allowing only three hits. Stankiewicz kept it even through 7, but the Brothers scored three in the 9th off Yun-Wen Chen then added one more for insurance. SS Kun-Yu Chiang went 4 for 4 with some defensive plays to earn game MVP ahead of Miranda.
- November 4: Brothers 6, Lions 3. En-Si Huang throws five shutout innings for the victory over Chen-Yen Chiang. LF Tzu-Hsien Chan (the game MVP) homers, reaches base in four of five plate appearances and drives in three.
- November 5: Lions 6, Brothers 0. The Lions stay alive as Game MVP Dykxhoorn throws a three-hit shutout, fanning nine and walking one to beat Rogers (6 R, 4 ER, 7 H in 4 1/3 IP).
- November 7: Lions 12, Brothers 1. The Lions tie it with another big win, though it is still close (4-1) entering the 8th. Game MVP Melville allows one unearned run in seven while De Paula is not as effective in Game 2. LF Chih-Hsien Chen has 3 hits and DH Wu-Hsiung Pan drives in 3.
- November 8: Lions 7, Brothers 4. LF Chih-Hsien Chen again shone, doubling, homering and driving in three while taking Game MVP. Dykxhoorn came out of the bullpen with two shutout innings to save the game for Stankiewicz. LF Tzu-Hsien Chen has 3 hits in a losing cause, while the decision goes to Miranda.
Source: Official CPBL site