Thurman Clyde Greer III
(The Red Baron)
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 6' 0", Weight 190 lb.
- School University of Montevallo
- High School Albertville High School
- Debut May 16, 1994
- Final Game July 11, 2002
- Born January 21, 1969 in Fort Rucker, AL USA
Rusty Greer played nine seasons in the big leagues, all with the Texas Rangers, who drafted him in the 10th round in the 1990 amateur draft. A left fielder, his career averages of .305/.387/.478 showed an ability to hit for a good average, good plate patience, and above-average power. He didn't steal many bases, but he did steal 9 times in 9 tries in 1996.
The most similar player is a surprise, Zeke Bonura, the first baseman from the 1930s. However, in spite of the difference in eras, Bonura and Greer have similar offensive stats, both having relatively short but highly productive careers in a live ball context.
In 2014, Greer was a special instructor in spring training for the Rangers.
- 100 RBI Seasons: 3 (1996 & 1998-1999)
- 100 Runs Scored Seasons: 3 (1997-1999)
- 20 Home Runs Seasons: 2 (1997 & 1999)