James Douglas Kaprielian
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 4", Height 200 lb.
- School University of California, Los Angeles
- High School Beckman High School
Pitcher James Kaprielian was the top selection of the New York Yankees in the 2015 amateur draft, with the 16th pick of the 1st round, out of UCLA. He had also been drafted out of high school, in the 40th round in 2012 by the Seattle Mariners, but had preferred to go to college.
Kaprielian made his professional debut with the GCL Yankees 2 in 2015, giving up 4 runs in 2 1/3 innings just to get his feet wet, then he was sent to the Staten Island Yankees of the New York-Penn League. In 3 starts there, he was 0-1, but gave up only 2 runs in 9 innings as the Yankees did not want him to pitch too much following a full college season. In spite of his limited playing time, Baseball America named him the Yankees' #4 prospect after the season and he was considered to be on a fast track to the majors. In 2016, he made three appearances with the Tampa Yankees of the Florida State League, going 2-1, 1.50, before being put on the shelf by a strained flexor tendon. He was recovered in time to pitch in the Arizona Fall League in the fall, where he made 7 starts and pitched 27 innings, but his career was derailed again in 2017, as he had to undergo Tommy John surgery in April. While recovering from the surgery, he was traded to the Oakland Athletics on July 31st alongside two other prospect in return for P Sonny Gray. Ironically, another of the prospects sent to Oakland, OF Dustin Fowler, was also recovering from a season-ending injury at the time.
- Barry M Bloom: "Sidelined prospect Kaprielian visits Yanks: Righty on path back to diamond after Tommy John Surgery", mln.com, June 13, 2017. 
- Michael Kolligian: "Yanks' Kaprielian proud of Armenian heritage: Club's first-round pick in '15 is also its No. 4 prospect", mlb.com, February 28, 2016.