For the minor leaguer with the same name, see Gary Alexander (minors01)
Gary Wayne Alexander
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 2", Weight 200 lb.
- School Los Angeles Harbor Community College
- High School Locke High School
- Debut September 12, 1975
- Final Game September 28, 1981
- Born March 27, 1953 in Los Angeles, CA USA
Gary Alexander hit 27 home runs with 84 RBI in 1978, split between Oakland Athletics and Cleveland Indians. He finished 9th in the American League in homers that year. He also led the league with 166 strikeouts that year. In 1979, he committed 18 errors and allowed 13 passed balls in 91 games at catcher. As his defense hardly improved over the next two seasons with the Indians, he was reduced to being a sometimes outfielder and first baseman in his last season, with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1981.
He was twice included in a blockbuster trade for a top pitcher. On March 15, 1978, he was one of seven players sent by the San Francisco Giants to Oakland for Vida Blue, and on December 9, 1980, he was one of four players sent to the Pittsburgh Pirates in return for Bert Blyleven and Manny Sanguillen.
He primarily wore number 35.
- 1974 MVP California League Fresno Giants
- 1975 Player of the Year Texas League Lafayette Drillers
- 1977 Topps All-Star Rookie Team
- 20-Home Run Seasons: 1 (1978)