Buford Billy Champion, Jr.
(Billy or Fly Rod)
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 4", Weight 180 lb.
- High School Shelby (NC) High School
- Debut June 4, 1969
- Final Game June 5, 1976
- Born September 18, 1947 in Shelby, NC USA
- Died January 7, 2017 in Shelby, NC USA
Bill Champion was a swingman with the Philadelphia Phillies and Milwaukee Brewers in the 1970s. He started just slightly more than half of his appearances (102 of 202) with a 34-50 lifetime record and 4.69 ERA. His best season was in Milwaukee, The Good Land, in 1974, when he finished 11-4 with a 3.62 ERA in 31 games and a career-high 161 2/3 innings. He was never much of a strikeout artist: in his career, he only struck 6 more batters than he walked, 360 to 354, in 801 1/3 innings.
- 1983 Pitching coach Pikeville Cubs
- 1993 Pitching coach Bend Rockies
- 1994 Pitching coach New Haven Ravens
- 1995-1996 Pitching coach Salem Avalanche
- 1997 Pitching coach Binghamton Mets
- 2001-2002 Pitching coach Greenville Braves
- 2003 Pitching coach High Desert Mavericks (until July 1)
- 2010 Pitching coach Uni-President Lions