Stewart Walker Cliburn
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 195 lb.
- School Delta State University
- High School Forest Hill High School (Jackson)
- Debut September 17, 1984
- Final Game October 1, 1988
- Born December 19, 1956 in Jackson, MS USA
“What’s happened this year is unbelievable, but I never lost hope. As long as people kept giving me an opportunity, I knew there was a chance. I wasn't going to give up until someone said, 'Stew, you just can't pitch in the majors, go on home.' I mean, as long as I had a job, I looked upon it as my responsibility to stay motivated until someone gave me that chance. The Angels did that this year, and it's a dream come true. The struggle paid off, but remembering it keeps all this in perspective." - Stew Cliburn, Los Angeles Times, August 1985
Pitcher Stew Cliburn is the twin brother of catcher Stan Cliburn. Both played for the California Angels at different times in the franchise's history. Four years after Stan's lone big league jaunt, Stew made a skinny appearance, then shone in 1985 with a 9-3 record, 2.09 ERA and 6 saves in 44 relief appearances and 99 innings. A bout of tendinitis killed his chances for an encore, moving back to Triple A for two seasons before a solid 4-2, 4.07 record in 40 games capped his big league career in 1988. In 1990, Stew pitched in the Senior Professional Baseball Association with the Daytona Beach Explorers as a teammate of Stan; Stew pitched 10 games and was 2-1 with a 1.50 ERA and 2 saves when the league folded.
Stew soon became a minor league pitching coach, seeing an overwhelming majority of his work in the Minnesota Twins organization. He and Stan worked together again and again, on the coaching staffs of both the New Britain Rock Cats and Rochester Red Wings, with Stan managing and Stew handling the hurlers.
- 1991-1992 Pitching coach Palm Springs Angels
- 1993 Pitching coach Elizabethton Twins
- 1994-1997 Pitching coach Ft. Wayne Wizards
- 1996 Pitching coach Scottsdale Arizona Fall League
- 1998 Pitching coach Wilmington of the Maryland Fall League
- 1998 Pitching coach Ft. Myers Miracle
- 1999-2005 Pitching coach New Britain Rock Cats
- 2006-2008 Pitching coach Rochester Red Wings
- 2009-2014 Pitching coach New Britain Rock Cats
- 2015 Pitching coach Chattanooga Lookouts
- 2016-2019 Pitching coach Rochester Red Wings