James Arthur Willoughby
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 2", Weight 185 lb.
- High School Gustine (CA) High School
- Debut September 5, 1971
- Final Game September 28, 1978
- Born January 31, 1949 in Salinas, CA USA
Jim Willoughby pitched one complete game shutout in his major league career. It came on April 28, 1973 as a member of the San Francisco Giants against the St. Louis Cardinals. He gave up 4 hits, walked 1 and struck out 6. The win moved the Giants to 18-5 on the season and the struggling Cardinals to 2-15.
Willoughby took the head coaching position at Suffolk University in 1981. After 7 games he resigned with a 1-6 record.
In 1989, he played for the Winter Haven Super Sox of the Senior Professional Baseball Association. In 1990, He played for the San Bernardino Pride of the SPBA. He pitched in 10 games and was 1-0 with 1 save and a 3.96 ERA when the league folded.
- Jon Daly: "Jim Willoughby", in Bill Nowlin and Cecilia Tan, ed.: '75:The Red Sox Team that Saved Baseball, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2015, pp. 125-130. ISBN 978-1-933599-97-7