James Lester Kern
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 5", Weight 205 lb.
- High School Midland (MI) High School
- Debut September 6, 1974
- Final Game May 30, 1986
- Born March 15, 1949 in Gladwin, MI USA
Although Jim Kern turned out to be an All-Star reliever, he started the first 3 games of his major league career, including a complete game in his debut on September 6, 1974 as a member of the Cleveland Indians against the Baltimore Orioles. He gave up 5 hits, 1 earned run, walked 5 and struck out 4. The only run was scored on an RBI double by Rich Coggins. Mike Cuellar outpitched Kern for the complete game shutout.
"I told him I wasn't tired. He told me, 'No, but the outfielders sure are.'" - Jim Kern, on what the manager said upon removing him from a game
Kern missed the 1969 season due to military service.
- 1974 Pitcher of the Year American Association Oklahoma City 89ers
- 3-time AL All-Star (1977-1979)
- AL Reliever of the Year Award Winner (1979)
- AL Rolaids Relief Award Winner (1979)