4/8/2018, From the management: We have moved the Bullpen over to a new temporary server and a new permanent type of setup. It's a bit much to explain here, but I think it's working. Please let me know on User_talk:Admin if you see any issues. Thank you as always for your support.
Hugh Ignatius Daily
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 2", Weight 180 lb.
". . . One Armed Hugh, Hugh Daily . . . (was a) maker of great strikeout records despite his disability. He was a pitching star of the most sensational pattern, and, with his one wing, fielded surprisingly well." - Baseball Magazine, 1919
Hugh "One Arm" Daily had no left hand and a truncated left arm, and caught balls by using both a pad on his left arm and his right hand.
Daily was not much of a hitter, but pitched with some success for six years, leading the Union Association in strikeouts in 1884. He was 34 when he first made his debut with the Buffalo Bisons in 1882. He played in all three of the major leagues that existed in the 1880s.
The SABR biography of Daily also covers in detail his years with independent teams. No one knows where or when he died; the last trace of him appears in a 1922 Baltimore, MD telephone book; he had listed his occupation as "night watchman" on Census forms.
- UA Strikeouts Leader (1884)
- 20 Wins Seasons: 2 (1883 & 1884)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 3 (1882-1884)
- 300 Innings Pitched Seasons: 2 (1883 & 1884)
- 400 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 500 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 200 Strikeouts Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 300 Strikeouts Seasons: 1 (1884)
- 400 Strikeouts Seasons: 1 (1884)