Frederick Herbert Carroll
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11", Weight 185 lb.
- School Saint Mary's College of California
- Debut May 1, 1884
- Final Game August 18, 1891
- Born July 2, 1864 in Sacramento, CA USA
- Died November 7, 1904 in San Rafael, CA USA
Fred Carroll was one of the best-hitting catchers of the 19th Century. At a time when many catchers struggled to hit over .200, Carroll had a lifetime .284 average. He led the National League in on-base percentage in 1889, and he was among the leaders in slugging percentage four times in his eight-year career.
Fred Carroll holds the major league record with 95 passed balls in the 1886 season.
He umpired one National League game in 1887.
- Hits, doubleheader, 9, 7/5/1886 (tied)
- Passed balls, season, 95, 1886
- Youngest birthday home run, aged 20 (record subsequently tied by Buddy Lewis and Aramis Ramirez)