Ed Wheeler (wheeled02)
Edward Raymond Wheeler
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 9", Weight 160 lb.
- School Loyola Marymount University
- Debut April 19, 1945
- Final Game September 22, 1945
- Born May 24, 1915 in Los Angeles, CA USA
- Died August 4, 1983 in Centralia, WA USA
Ed Wheeler was a 30-year-old major league rookie who played third base, shortstop, and second base for the 1945 Cleveland Indians.
He was only the second major leaguer to come out of Loyola Marymount University. The Indians picked him up in 1944 from San Diego. Manager Lou Boudreau, a pretty good shortstop himself, obviously thought Wheeler had some decent defensive skills. The Indians that year finished over .500.
He managed Las Vegas in the Sunset League in 1950.
There is an Ed Wheeler Field in Centralia, WA, where Wheeler died.