2017 Women's Baseball Asian Cup
The 2017 Women's Baseball Asian Cup was the first Women's Baseball Asian Cup. It was held from September 2 to September 7 in Hong Kong. The top four teams will go to the 2018 Women's Baseball World Cup. Teams competing were Japan, Chinese Taipei, South Korea, Hong Kong, India and Pakistan. Games were 7 innings as in a Women's Baseball World Cup, with mercy rules ending some games earlier. Japan took the risk of sending a team of players 18 and under but still swept the field to show their dominance of women's baseball.
- Hong Kong 17, Pakistan 2. Hong Kong used a 14-run second to roll to victory. Wing-Hin Ng got the win, Azra Farooq the loss. C Iram Khalid gets the first hit in event history (and finishes with 2 of Pakistan's 4) while SS Tsz-Chin Lau gets the first walk and DH Janice Chi-Kay Lau the first run.
- Japan 11, South Korea 0. The clear favorites open with a resounding win. Mayu Himeno gets the victory and Doo-ree Na the defeat.
- South Korea 21, Pakistan 1. 1B Hye-ryeon Won, 2B/3B Hye-li Kim and CF/RF Se-won Hwang each score three times for South Korea. Hee-jin Kim is the winning hurler while Azra Farooq is the losing one.
- Japan 6, Chinese Taipei 1. Taiwan looks set for an upset as Yu-Ying Hsieh shuts out Japan for five while Taiwan scores in the 4th off Asaka Tsuru (Chia-Hui Yang doubling in Chiao-Yun Huang). In the bottom of the 6th, though, Japan explodes for six to put it away. Nanami Ono gets the win in relief while 1B Sakura Mitsuura drives in two.
- Hong Kong 18, India 5. The hosts roll again as DH Chee-Ar Lui scores four, RF Wing-Ki Miu falls a homer shy of the cycle with 3 runs and 3 RBI and 3B Woon-Yee Sinney Cheuk drives in three. Tak-Kwan Fan gets the win, Rupashi Lenka gives up 23 hits in the loss.
- Japan 17, Pakistan 0. DH Yuka Ogata goes 3 for 4 with two runs and 3 RBI while CF Ayuri Ikemoto is 3 for 3 with 3 runs and 2 RBI as Masooma Bashaari allows 18 hits and 17 runs (13 earned) in 4 innings in a mercy rule complete game loss. Shiori Tanaka, Mami Odajima and Hana Imai hold Pakistan scoreless, the only baserunners being PH Ira Shahzadi walking off Odajima in the 3rd and a one-out single by C Iram Khalid off Imai in the 4th.
- Chinese Taipei 16, Hong Kong 1. Wen-Ching Hsieh gets the win for Taiwan with offensive leaders being SS Yu-Ying Hsieh (3 R, 3 H) and DH/P Chiao-Yun Huang (2 R, 3 RBI). Yik-Shan Hung takes the first loss for the hosts, while 1B/P Kit-Ling Yeung is 2 for 2 with a RBI.
- South Korea 9, India 0. Mi-ran Lee, In-suk Yang and Hye-min Jung combine on a five-hit whitewash. PR/CF Jeong-eun Shin steals four bases and scores twice. Shweta Das takes the defeat.
- India 9, Pakistan 3. In a match of the two winless teams left, Pakistan scores three in the first off Shweta Das, who only retired one of six, but Sunil Bodekar relieved and allowed only two hits and two walks in 6 2/3 IP the rest of the way. 1B Bhawna doubled twice and scored twice. Sadia Bibi went the distance in the loss while 1B Humaira Khan had two hits for Pakistan.
- Japan 2, Hong Kong 0. Hong Kong gives Japan a challenge before falling as Ayumi Ono, Runa Matsushima (W) and Mayu Himeno (Sv) combine on a 7-hit shutout. Ho-Ying Au throws a complete game, allowing fewer hits (6) and walks (1) but still losing. 2B Wai-Yee Cheung goes 3 for 3 for Hong Kong. CF Ruri Adachi is 1 for 2 with two walks and a run for Japan.
- Chinese Taipei 17, South Korea 0. Taiwan likely locks up a spot in the finals with a romp of South Korea. Chiao-Yun Huang and Min-Hua Chen combine on a 4-inning mercy rule perfect game while the hitters toast Doo-ree Na and two relievers. 1B Hsing-Yeh Tsai has 3 hits and 3 RBI, 3B Chia-Hui Yang 3 hits and 3 runs and 2B Chien-Fan Chen 3 runs and 3 RBI.
- Japan 17, India 0. In a repeat of the Taiwan-South Korea game, there is a 17-0, 4-inning mercy rule perfecto. Asaka Tsuru, Mina Sugimoto, Shiori Tanaka and Nanami Ono each throw one inning while DH Yuka Ogata drives in four and C Kanako Endo three. SS Harue Yoshii and RF Nana Watanabe each score three. Sunil Bodekar takes the loss the day after getting India's first win of the tourney.
- Chinese Taipei 16, Pakistan 1. Yung-Chu Lian gets the win for Taiwan while LF/C Yu-Chuan Tu drives in four and C Dan-Lei Lin steals four of Taiwan's 21 swipes without being caught. Azra Farooq takes the loss, while Pakistan's lone run comes when RF Kanwal Aslam drives in 1B Humaira Khan.
- South Korea 9, Hong Kong 4. South Korea locks up third and Hong Kong fourth, both advancing to next year's World Cup. Hee-jin Kim gets the win while Mi-ran Lee throws three shutout innings for the save. CF Jeong-eun Shin drives in four. Yee-Wan Lam is the losing hurler. LF/3B Woon-Yee Cheuk drives in three for Hong Kong.
- Chinese Taipei 10, India 0. Yu-Ying Hsieh and Chiao-Yun Huang allow only one hit (a first-inning single to CF Raj Rani in a near-perfecto; Taiwan also makes two errors. 2B Wan-Ting Shih scores three while SS Chia-Hui Yang drives in three. Shweta Das takes the loss.
- P: Mayu Himeno, Japan
- C: Iram Khalid, Pakistan
- 1B: Bhawna, India
- 2B: Chien-Fen Chen, Chinese Taipei
- SS: Harue Yoshii, Japan
- 3B: Chia-Hui Yang, Chinese Taipei
- OF: Hyung-yung Kim, South Korea
- OF: Hsing-Yeh Tsai, Chinese Taipei
- OF: Wing-Ki Miu, Hong Kong
- DH: Yuka Ogata, Japan