John Arthur Fowler
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 11", Weight: 180 lb.
Born: July 3, 1922 in Converse, SC
High School: Spartanburg HS (Spartanburg, SC)
Signed by the New York Giants as an amateur free agent in 1944.
Debut: April 17, 1954 (Age 31.288, 8,701st in MLB history)
vs. MLN 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 SO, 0 BB, 0 ER
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1954 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Redlegs/Angels/Dodgers 1954-1964
Last Game: May 4, 1964 (Age 41.306)
vs. KCA 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 SO, 1 BB, 4 ER, L
Died: January 29, 2007 in Spartanburg, SC
Buried: Greenlawn Memorial Gardens, Spartanburg, SC
Relatives: Brother of Jesse Fowler
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- August 2016
- 8/15 Radical Baseball: Joe Cunningham: three home runs in first two games.: Joe Cunningham is the only player to hit three home runs in his first two games. He broke in with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1954.
News -- May 2015
- 5/18 Gammons Daily: Earl Averill, Jr., the batter who reached base 17 straight times: According to the Seattle Times, Earl Averill Jr., a seven-year major league veteran, died last Wednesday in Tacoma. He was 83....
News -- March 2015
- 3/28 The Writer's Journey: Don Newcombe was a complete player: Rookie of the Year in 1949. Four times an All-Star. Cy Young and MVP Award winner in 1956. 149 wins. But Don Newcombe was more...
News -- December 2014
- 12/25 Yanks Go Yard: Turn Back The Clock: December 25th, 1989-The Yankees Lose One Of Their Own: Five times around. Most employees after being told to hit the bricks the first, maybe even the second time around, wouldn't...
News -- August 2014
- 8/8 Friars on Base: The Friars On Base Interview: John D'Acquisto-Part II: Editor's note: The beginning of Part II of the Friars On Base Interview with former Padres' reliever, Dr. John D'Acquisto,...
News -- November 2012
- 11/27 The Cardinal Nation Blog: Musial faced MLBâ€™s last left-handed shortstop â€“ sort of: A left-handed thrower designated as shortstop appeared in the field in 1954 as part of a unique attempt to retire Stan Musial...
News -- August 2012
- 8/21 PaulLebowitz.com: McClure Was Fired Because He Didn’t Work: The key word with a pitching coach is âworkâ. I donât mean working hard nor do I mean to imply the the fired Red Sox pitching...
News -- July 2012
- 7/23 PaulLebowitz.com: Strasburg Ambiguity Mars The Nationalsâ€™ Magical Season: How can anyone involved with the Nationals justify looking into Stephen Strasburgâs face and telling him that while the team...
News -- June 2011
- 6/27 B-R Blog: Throwing 95+ pitches in a relief appearance: 2011 isn't quite halfway over yet and we've already had 3 different relief appearances where the pitcher threw at least 95 pitches:...