Template:Today in Baseball/November 16
- 1887 - The Rules Committee decides to count walks as hits in 1887, causing disputes over the statistical record that will persist into the 21st Century.
- 1966 - Roberto Clemente wins the 1966 National League MVP Award, beating out Sandy Koufax.
- 1988 - Jose Canseco is the unanimous winner of the 1988 American League MVP Award. He is the first unanimous winner in 15 years. Canseco is coming off of MLB's first 40-40 season.
- 1999 - Pedro Martínez wins the 1999 American League Cy Young Award, becoming the third pitcher to win a Cy Young Award in each major league.
- 2001 - Jose Contreras (pictured) and Pedro Luis Lazo shut down the Japanese national team in the semifinals of the 2001 Baseball World Cup for a 3-1, 11-inning win. Contreras improves to 13-0 in international competition.