St. Louis Terriers
The St. Louis Terriers represented St. Louis for the entire existence of the short-lived Federal League. They began play in 1913 while the circuit was still a minor league. In 1914, Phil Ball took over as the team's owner as the Federal League proclaimed itself a third major league.
Prior to the 1914 season, the Terriers lured legendary pitcher Mordecai Brown away from the Cincinnati Reds of the National League. Despite Brown's presence (he went 12-6 with a 2.91 ERA and managed the club before moving on to the Brooklyn Tip-Tops in midseason), the team finished in last place, 25 games behind the league-leading Indianapolis Hoosiers.
The Terriers were much improved in 1915, largely due to the signing of another ace, Eddie Plank, who was lured away from the Philadelphia Athletics. Plank went 21-11 with a 2.08 ERA as the Terriers finished in second place, just .001 behind the league leading Chicago Whales.
After the 1915 season, the Federal League reached a settlement with major league baseball in response to an antitrust suit. The Federal League ceased operations, but Ball was allowed to buy the St. Louis Browns of the American League. He took many of the Terriers players, including Plank, with him to the Browns.
- Peter Filichia: Green Cathedrals: The Ultimate Celebrations of All 273 Major League and Negro League Ballparks Past and Present, Addison Wesley Publishing Company (March 1993)