(Redirected from Norman Small)
Norman Woodnut Small
- Height 5' 10", Weight 176 lb.
- Batted Right, Threw Right
Norman Small began his professional career in 1934 as a member of the Cardinals farm system with the Martinsville Manufacturers of the Bi-State League. In 1935 he spent time with the Asheville Tourists in the Piedmont League and the Greenwood Chiefs in the East Dixie League before going back to Martinsville. Originally a pitcher, he switched to the outfield after an arm injury and eventually developed into a power hitter.
Other teams with which he played during his long minor league career included: York White Roses, PA (1936), Mooresville Moors, NC (1936-37, 40-42, 46-50, 53), Waterloo Red Hawks, Iowa (1938), Durham Bulls, NC (1937-38), Columbia Reds, SC (1938-39), Meridian Scrappers, MS (1939), Jersey City Giants, NJ (1943), Hickory Rebels, NC (1951-52) and Raleigh Capitals, NC (1952). Small retired after the 1953 season with a .320 career average and 338 home runs.
- HR Titles
- 1940 North Carolina State League 25, also led with 115 RBI
- 1942 North Carolina State League 32, also led with 107 RBI and 144 H
- 1946 North Carolina State League 18, also led with 31 2B and 100 R
- 1947 North Carolina State League 31
- 1948 North Carolina State League 33, also led with 130 RBI
- 1949 North Carolina State League 41, also led with 152 RBI
- 1950 North Carolina State League 32
- Led 1951 North Carolina State League with 35 2B
Year-by-Year Managerial Record
|1946||Mooresville Moors||North Carolina State League||4th||none||League Champs|
|1947||Mooresville Moors||North Carolina State League||68-43||1st||none||League Champs|
|1948||Mooresville Moors||North Carolina State League||57-52||5th||none|
|1952||Hickory Rebels||Western Carolina League||--||Chicago Cubs||--||replaced by Eddie Yount May 11|
|1963||Statesville Owls||Western Carolinas League||7th||Co-op||replaced Bobby Bralley|