George Smith (smithge02)
George Allen Smith
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 2", Weight 163 lb.
- School Columbia University
- Debut August 9, 1916
- Final Game September 21, 1923
- Born May 31, 1892 in East Port Chester, CT USA
- Died January 7, 1965 in Greenwich, CT USA
Columbia George Smith is the most prominent major league pitcher out of Columbia University, throwing more than 1,000 innings in the majors.
He is not to be confused with two other players of the same name who came after him.
Although George lost almost two-thirds of his major league games, his ERA was close to the league average. Many of his pitching stints were with the Philadelphia Phillies at a time when they were very much a sub-.500 team.
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 2 (1920 & 1921)