Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 5' 9", Weight: 178 lb.
Born: November 13, 1915 in Fulton, NY
Signed by the St. Louis Cardinals as an amateur free agent in 1938.
Debut: April 25, 1944 (Age 28.164, 7,593rd in MLB history)
vs. CIN 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 SO, 0 BB, 0 ER
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1944 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Cardinals/Pirates/Indians 1944-1953
Last Game: August 5, 1953 (Age 37.265)
vs. WSH 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 SO, 2 BB, 3 ER
Died: August 21, 1989 in Houston, TX
Buried: Forest Park East Cemetery, Webster, TX
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- May 2012
- 5/28 High Heat Stats: Pitchers who earn their losses: A familiar television advertisement from years ago featured the actor John Houseman as pitch man for the investment firm Smith...
News -- April 2012
- 4/5 James Smyth Broadcast: Opening Day Starters for Defending Champs (Continued!): Yesterday, I wrote about Kyle Lohse and where he will rank among the Opening Day starting pitchers for recent reigning World Series...
News -- August 2011
- 8/17 B-R Blog: Perfect in Extra-Inning Games: This season the Dodgers have played in only 6 extra-inning games, but have won them all. Since 1901, only 3 teams have gone...
News -- March 2011
- 3/3 B-R Blog: Relief Appearances Of 3+ IP In Postseason Deciding Games: How many players, from 1903 to 2010, have come into a post-season deciding game out of the bullpen and thrown 3 innings or more?...
News -- August 2010
- 8/22 B-R Blog: Chris Carpenter’s W-L record with the Cardinals: Last night Chris Carpenter improved to 14-4 this season by beating Tim Lincecum and the Giants. His overall record since joining...
News -- June 2010
- 6/9 B-R Blog: One thousand: Most at bats in a season (1901-present), batting average of 1.000: