The Corn Crib
Construction began in March 2009, and enough was completed in time for the CornBelters' home opener on June 1, 2010.
In a naming rights partnership with the Illinois Corn Marketing Board, the CornBelters' dubbed the stadium as The Corn Crib.
CornBelters' president Steve Malliet said, "This ballpark is going to be special. It will let people know in a fun and exciting atmosphere all about corn. We feel the name and logo of the stadium will give the community, region and state a renewed understanding of how agriculture plays a quiet but essential role in their daily lives."
Sprinturf covers the entire playing field and foul ball areas including the bull pens. There is no dirt anywhere. Players are mostly positive about the artificial surface.
A major feature in the left field area is an area for children featuring face-painting and inflatables.
2011 stadium improvements include:
- Covering over the picnic area in right field
- Completion of paving of parking area north of stadium
- Exterior landscaping and reinforcement of the grass parking area near outfield entrance
- Paved, lighted walkway connecting the Corn Crib with Heartland College
- Completion of Heartland's softball and soccer practice fields north of the stadium
2012 stadium improvements include:
- Covering the entire concourse to provide more shelter from rain and foul balls
- Location: 1000 W. Raab Road Normal IL 61761
- Current Team: Normal CornBelters
- 2010 Ticket Prices:
- Box seats - $11 ($10 prior to day of game)
- Reserved bleachers - $8 ($7 prior to day of game)
- General admission lawn $6 ($5 prior to day-of-game)
- Full season tickets, mini-plan packages and various group outings also available
- Left field: 328 ft.
- Left field power alley: 370 ft.
- Center field: 400 ft.
- Right field power alley: 370 ft.
- Right field: 328 Ft.
- Seating Capacity: 4,000 fixed seats, 250 on suite level, 1,500 to 2,000 on grass berms
Professional Baseball Teams Calling The Corn Crib Home
Other Teams Calling The Corn Crib Home
- 2010-present: Heartland Hawks
- 2009/03/28 - Groundbreaking ceremony
- 2010/06/01 - First home game for the Normal CornBelters against the Windy City ThunderBolts; the CornBelters lost 3-2
- 2010/06/04 - First extra inning game and first home victory for the Normal CornBelters against the Kalamazoo Kings; CornBelters won 13-12 in 12-innings on a walk-off home run by Jeff Cowan
- 2010/06/28 - First CornBelters complete game shut out by Dan Blewett against the Windy City ThunderBolts; CornBelters won 5-0
- 2010/08/14 - First Legends game at the Corn Crib between old-time St. Louis Cardinals players against old-time Chicago Cubs players
- 2010/08/20 - First suspended game between the CornBelters and the Washington Wild Things
Related Links and Sources
- Normal reaches terms for minor league baseball stadium
- Early design for baseball stadium may be available this month
- Normal baseball stadium plans revealed
- No construction yet, but Normal stadium suites are selling
- Normal's minor league park adds local partners, still needs more
- Contract finalizing minor league baseball team, stadium approved
- Heartland to hold groundbreaking ceremony for new stadium
- B-N's professional baseball one step closer with groundbreaking
- Baseball stadium gets a name: The Corn Crib
- Wet fall slows construction of The Corn Crib
- CornBelters say stadium could be ready 'as close to April 1st as possible'
- Sprinturf being installed at Corn Crib
- CornBelters 'fired up' for home debut at Corn Crib
- CornBelter notes: More parking added near Corn Crib
- No dirt to be found at Corn Crib
- Legends Game reunites friends, foes at Corn Crib
- Belters finish in black, declare season success