4/8/2018, From the management: We have moved the Bullpen over to a new temporary server and a new permanent type of setup. It's a bit much to explain here, but I think it's working. Please let me know on User_talk:Admin if you see any issues. Thank you as always for your support.
|1874 in baseball|
|<< 1873 1875 >>|
Championships, events, culture, births, and deaths that occurred in 1874.
- May 13 - The Chicago White Stockings play the first professional game in Chicago by a Chicago team since the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The White Stockings win 4-0 over the Philadelphia Athletics before 4,000 fans.
- September 9 - John Radcliff is dismissed from the Philadelphia White Stockings after umpire William McLean testified that Radcliff had offered him $175 to fix a game.
- The batter's box is introduced.
- Umpires, players, and official scorers are to be banned for gambling. Gambling on a game in which they have official duties is to result in permanent expulsion, while gambling on other games only results in expulsion for the remainder of the season. Essentially the same rule remains in place today.
- The balk rule is introduced.
- Further information: Births in 1874
- Further information: Deaths in 1874