Chinese Professional Baseball League
(Redirected from CPBL)
The Chinese Professional Baseball League is the top baseball league in Taiwan.
It was founded on October 23, 1989 by the owner of Brother Hotel, Inc. Inaugural members were the Wei Chuan Dragons, Mercuries Tigers, Brother Elephants and Uni-President Lions. In 2003, the CPBL merged with the Taiwan Major League, its weaker rival from 1997-2002. Starting in 2005, the league champions entered the Asia Series to face the top teams from the Korea Baseball Organization, Nippon Pro Baseball and China Baseball League. Every team has a minor league team in the CPBL.
The league has faced several gambling scandals in its lifetime, including six in a 7-year period from 2002-2008. The CPBL currently has five teams and the TSG Hawks will join the league in 2024.
- Brother Elephants (1990-2013); became CTBC Brothers
- China Times Eagles (1993-1997)
- Chinatrust Whales (1993-2008)
- DMedia T-Rex (2008)
- EDA Rhinos (2013-2016); became Fubon Guardians
- First Financial Holdings Agan (2003); became La New Bears
- Jungo Bears (1993-1995); became Sinon Bears
- La New Bears (2003-2010); became Lamigo Monkeys
- Lamigo Monkeys (2011-2019); became Rakuten Monkeys
- Macoto Cobras (2004-2007); became DMedia T-Rex
- Macoto Gida (2003); became Macoto Cobras
- Mercuries Tigers (1990-1999)
- Sinon Bears (upper 1996); became Sinon Bulls
- Sinon Bulls (1997-2012); became EDA Rhinos