Jason Lee Payton
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 185 lb.
- School Georgia Institute of Technology
- High School Zanesville High School
- Debut September 1, 1998
- Final Game October 3, 2010
- Born November 22, 1972 in Zanesville, OH USA
He was an oddity on the 2006 Oakland Athletics, a team that was noted for low batting averages and copious walks. Payton hit .296, the highest average on the team among the regulars, but had only 22 walks, by far the lowest total among the regulars. He was also odd in that the Athletics were terrible at hitting doubles, finishing 13th in the league in doubles, while Payton was good at hitting doubles, getting 32 to lead the team.
Because Payton's skills were a bit different than many of his contemporaries, the most similar players according to the similarity scores method are from eras of long ago - Danny Litwhiler, Pete Ward, and Hoot Evers. The most similar contemporary players are Jeffrey Hammonds and Todd Hollandsworth.
- 1995 MVP Eastern League Binghamton Mets
- 2000 Topps All-Star Rookie Team
- 20-Home Run Seasons: 1 (2003)