Jackie Hayes (hayesja02)
Minter Carney Hayes
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10½", Weight 165 lb.
- School University of Alabama
- High School Gulf Coast Military Academy
- Debut August 5, 1927
- Final Game August 29, 1940
- Born July 19, 1906 in Clanton, AL USA
- Died February 9, 1983 in Birmingham, AL USA
Jackie Hayes started going blind in 1940. Just a burning sensation and blurred vision at first, by Opening Day he had lost vision in his right eye. The Chicago White Sox decided to fit him with a batting helmet but his disability was soon found to be permanent. Glaucoma left him totally blind by 1944.
After baseball, he was elected county tax commissioner in his hometown of Clanton, AL.
Source: The Big Show: Charles M. Conlon's Golden Age Baseball Photographs by McCabe & McCabe.