Angel Garcia (minors02)

From BR Bullpen

Ángel Miguel García (Gomita)

BR Minors page

Biographical Information[edit]

Angel Garcia has pitched as high as AA.

Garcia was picked by the Minnesota Twins in the 4th round of the 2001 amateur draft after being scouted by Hector Otero. He was 0-3 with a save and a 5.60 ERA for the 2001 GCL Twins but struck out 22 in 17 2/3 IP. In 2002, the tall right-hander had a 4-4, 3.40 record for the same club, with 63 K in 53 innings and only 41 hits (no home runs).

Garcia was 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA for the 2003 Elizabethton Twins and struck out 44 in 37 1/3 IP. He had elbow problems which required Tommy John surgery and in 2004 he only pitched 18 innings between the GCL Twins (2 R in 8 IP) and the Quad Cities River Bandits (2-0, 6.30). Garcia was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2004 Rule V Draft and sold to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, but was apparently returned to the Twins the following spring.

Garcia went 2-0 with a 4.26 ERA and 33 K in 25 1/3 IP for the Beloit Snappers of 2005, holding opponents to a .161 batting average. In 2006, he was 2-1 with a 2.93 ERA for the Fort Myers Miracle. 2007 was the first time he topped 50 innings in five years, as he tossed 65 2/3. He was 0-2 with four saves and a 3.38 ERA for the Miracle, allowing a .195 average) and 1-0 with a 7.97 ERA for the New Britain Rock Cats (15 BB in 20 1/3 IP).

A free agent, he signed with the Oakland Athletics but did not get into a game in 2008, again presumably due to injury. He did pitch for Puerto Rico in the 2008 Americas Baseball Cup, tossing 3 perfect innings, striking out four and registering two saves. He tied Jose Perez Castellon for second in the tournament in saves, behind Rafael Diaz.

Healthy for at least part of 2009, Angel was 2-0 with a save and a 3.99 ERA in 21 games for the Midland Rockhounds but with 25 walks in 38 1/3 IP. He then was put on Puerto Rico's roster for the 2009 Baseball World Cup.


  • 2009 Athletics Media Guide
  • 2002-2009 Baseball Almanacs
  • 2008 Americas Baseball Cup Final Report