2019 European Women's Baseball Championship
(Redirected from 2019 European Women's Championship)
The 2019 European Women's Baseball Championship was the first European Women's Championship and was held from July 31 to August 3, 2019 in Rouen. Competing were Netherlands, France and Czech Republic; the Netherlands was the only team to have played in the past. The winner, France, advanced to the 2020 Women's Baseball World Cup.
- France 4, Netherlands 3. 2B Léna Sellam gets the first hit in tournament history, off Loes Asmus. Asmus blanks France over the first five, though, while the Dutch score 3, 2 driven in by 1B Anouk Vergunst. France comes back for four in the 6th to win. Camille Foucher gets the historic victory, while Mélissa Mayeux saves it. CF Raina Hunter goes 3 for 3.
- France 30, Czech Republic 7. In a mercy rule second game, the hosts rout the Czechs. The Czechs lead 5-4 after 1 but France rallies with 13 in the 2nd. Reliever Cassandra Vigneau gets the win. SS Mélissa Mayeux, CF Raina Hunter and LF/2B Manon Marie each score 5, Marie also driving in 4. 3B Marjorie Brunel drives in 5. France draws 23 walks in the 3-inning game, showcasing the control issues for the new Czech team. Vendula Nesvadbova took the loss but scored twice to lead Czechia.
- Netherlands 21, Czech Republic 11. The Czechs do better than yesterday, lasting five innings before the mercy rule, despite starter Johana Klimuskinova retiring none of ten batters. Merle Langevoord got the win despite 9 runs in 3 2/3 IP. She got plenty of support from 1B Anouk Vergunst (4 RBI), CF Esther Maliepaard (6 SB, 3 RBI) and company; 3 Dutch players scored 3 runs apiece and the other 6 starters each had two. For the Czech team, CF Eva Ventrubova drove in three.
- France 15, Netherlands 10. France locked up a spot in the championship game; down 9-1 after 3 1/2, they staged a fine rally for the home fans. Rosie Lyard allowed one run in four to close it out, getting the win over Ciska Welboren. France got 3 runs apiece from 2B Manon Marie and CF Raina Hunter and Hunter also drove in five while SS Léna Sellam drove in four. C Sofie van de Wiel scored three for the Netherlands.
- Netherlands 17, Czech Republic 4. The Netherlands got the other spot in the finale as the Czechs allowed their fewest runs yet. Famke Gildemacher got the win over Barbora Klečková. C Sofie van de Wiel scored four runs while SS Vendula Nesvadbová had two of the Czech's four.
- France 18, Czech Republic 12. The Czechs play their best game but finish winless, leading 9-5 after 2 1/2 before France rallies. SS Mélissa Mayeux scores 5 and drives in 5 while RF Julianne Laporte drives in 5 as well. Manon Marie wins in relief. SS/CF Vendula Nesvadbová drives in 3 for the losers while 2B/SS Nikola Schwarzingerová has two runs and two RBI. Tereza Němečková takes the loss.
- France 5, Netherlands 2. In a rematch of the opener, France's Camille Foucher beats the Netherlands' Loes Asmus again as France finishes their first tournament undefeated. SS/P Mélissa Mayeux saves it again and has two hits, a run and a RBI while 3B Marjorie Brunel has two hits and two RBI. She is named tournament MVP.