1999 All Africa Games
South Africa won the Gold Medal, going 5-0 with a mercy rule win each time.
Nigeria won the Silver at 4-1.
Zimbabwe took home Bronze, going 2-3.
- South Africa 43, Lesotho 0. Showcasing the disparity in talent between Africa's top team and the lesser clubs, the hosts begin with a 43-0 romp in a five-inning mercy rule game. Braydon Bartle allows only one hit, to backup C Rethabile Mosotho. RF Ian Holness goes 7 for 7 with four homers and 14 RBI, while 2B Carl Randall hits for the cycle and drives in eight. Teboho Shelile is handed the loss. Tieho Mpota amazingly tosses a shutout 5th after South Africa scores 43 in the first four.
- Nigeria 12, Zimbabwe 11. On the other hand, there was less difference between numbers 2 and 3, as Nigeria wins a close one. They fall behind 8-0 in the first and trail 9-0 after 3 and a half before rallying. The big star is DH/P Michael Oguwuche, who has 3 hits and 2 RBI and gets the win in relief. Nhauro Mpanguri is the losing hurler. SS Mandishona Mtasa has 2 hits and 2 RBI for Zimbabwe.
- Lesotho 18, Ghana 14. Ghana makes its debut with a loss to Lesotho. Justice Tsuniyane gets the win, Joshua Amponsah the loss. For Lesotho, 3B Teboho Shelile had 3 hits and CF Sebele Mokokoane 3 RBI. For Ghana, IF/C Paul Manoma and RF Mohammed Sherrif each drive in 3.
- South Africa 37, Zimbabwe 2. South Africa again wins in a mercy rule rout, as Darryn Smith throws five shutout frames before Ruan Klink allows the first run given up by South Africa in 11 innings. 1B Nick Dempsey goes 5 for 5 with 4 RBI while 3B Morne Mackay comes off the bench to drive in five. Ozias Moyo is the losing pitcher.
- Nigeria 27, Uganda 1. Uganda has a rough debut, making 12 errors in a 4 1/2 inning mercy rule loss. Augustine Gabriel gets the win with a one-hitter, the lone hit coming on a triple by 2B Paul Kazibwe in the 3rd. 1B Godwin Agobie (3 RBI), LF Roy Ikoko and 3B Adeyinaka Adewusi (3 H) each go deep for Nigeria. Henry Odong takes the defeat.
- Zimbabwe 31, Lesotho 5. Nhauro Mpanguri gets Zimnbabwe's first win, beating Teboho Shelile. SS Mandishona Mtasa had 3 hits and 4 RBI while 2B Sabastian Marumane and LF Lewis Kufazvinei each drive in 3. For Lesotho, 2B Lisema Molise was 3 for 3 and a homer shy of the cycle while C Moalosi Thaane drives in 2.
- South Africa 19, Nigeria 1. Nigeria takes South Africa 6 1/2 before falling. Carl Michaels is the victor and Ceaser Ofoedu the loser. LF Errol Davis and DH Neil Adonis drive in 5 apiece for the home team. 2B Michael Okoli has 2 hits to pace Nigeria in their lone loss.
- Ghana 27, Uganda 6. Uganda again has 12 errors to one hit. 3B Paul Ochola gets the only hit off Paul Manoma and Ishmael Abayaa (Abayaa gets credit for the win). Manoma (who also plays 3B and C today) has 4 hits and 4 RBI while SS Joshua Amponsah drives in four more in Ghana's first win. Henry Odong takes another loss.
- South Africa 31, Uganda 0. Vaughn Berriman and Shadley Sasman combine on a one-hitter, the third in a row for Uganda. 2B Paul Kazibwe gets the only hit for the second time. One sign of improvement is that Uganda only makes 10 errors. Rockfeller Erima is hammered for 32 hits in going the distance. DH Jason Cook (6 RBI) and LF Errol Davis (5 RBI) each collect five hits.
- Nigeria 14, Lesotho 3. Emmanuel Motoni gets the victory for Nigeria in this game as SS Toba Elegbi drives in 3 and LF Victor Owoyokun has 3 hits. Bahzakoan Shelike is the losing pitcher. Backup LF Tieho Mpota has 2 of Lesotho's 3 hits.
- Ghana 24, Zimbabwe 10. Charles Andam pitches Ghanaa to victory while 3B Paul Kwesi Manoma again stars on offense (5 H, 4 RBI). Tinei Billiat is handed the loss.
- Zimbabwe 30, Uganda 1. Zimbabwe finishes their tourney with a rout as Nhauro Mpanguri gets his second win and Henry Odong falls to 0-3. Uganda, after being one-hit three straight times, breaks out for 7 hits, 3 by 2B-SS-P Rockfeller Erima. They also make 17 errors, 5 by SS-3B Frederick Kisitu. 2B Mudiwa Gamanya drives in 5 for Zimbabwe while 3B Neil Burne has 3 hits and 3 RBI.
- South Africa 28, Ghana 3. Wesley Botha gets the win as South Africa finishes 5-0. LF Errol Davis raps another five hits while CF Jason Cook drives in 7 to top his 6 from yesterday. For Ghana, Mohammed Sherrif is the losing pitcher and SS Joshua Amponsah drives in 2.
- Lesotho 13, Uganda 3. Justice Tsuniyane strikes out 13 in a win for Lesotho while 2B Lisema Molise has two doubles and 3 RBI. Rockfeller Erima is the losing pitcher but leads Uganda's offense with 3 hits.
- Nigeria 14, Ghana 5. Emmanuel Motoni gets the win for Nigeria, which had already clinched the Silver Medal, to deny Ghana the Bronze. Charles Andam takes the loss. C Joseph Olayemi and 3B Adeyinaka Adewusi each drive in two for Nigeria. 3B Paul Manoma leads Ghana with two hits.
See also 1999 All Africa Games (Rosters)