BR minors page
The 1977 American Association season was the 70th in the league's history, and ended with the Denver Bears winning their second straight league championship. Denver defeated the Omaha Royals once again in the championship finals.
Before the season began, the Tulsa Oilers moved to New Orleans and became the New Orleans Pelicans. Due to the rental costs of the Superdome, the team was moved to Springfield, MO after the season.
Playoff teams in bold.
|Omaha vs. Denver
|Denver wins series 4-2
- Batting Average Jim Dwyer, Wichita, .332
- Runs Scored Dwyer, 113
- Hits Dwyer, 154
- Doubles Dwyer, 38
- Triples Bombo Rivera, Denver, 14
- Home Runs Frank Ortenzio, Denver, 40
- Runs Batted In Ortenzio, 126
- Stolen Bases Willie Wilson, Omaha, 74
- Wins Gary Lance, Omaha, 16
- Earned Run Average Jack Kucek, Iowa, 2.54
- Winning Percentage Dennis Lamp, Wichita, .733
- Complete Games Three tied with 10
- Shutouts Lance; Greg Shanahan, Omaha, 4
- Strikeouts Larry Landreth, Denver, 134
- Saves Oscar Zamora, Wichita, 17
- First Base Frank Ortenzio, Denver
- Second Base Fred Andrews, Oklahoma City; Rudy Meoli, Indianapolis
- Shortstop Stan Papi, Denver
- Third Base Dave Cripe, Omaha
- Utility Mike Adams, Wichita
- Outfield Benny Ayala, New Orleans; Jim Dwyer, Wichita; Clint Hurdle, Omaha; Willie Wilson, Omaha
- Catcher Lance Parrish, Evansville; Craig Perkins, Omaha
- Pitcher Dennis Lamp, Wichita; Jim Wright, Oklahoma City
- Manager Jim Marshall, Denver
The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball. W. Lloyd Johnson and Miles Wolff, editors. Baseball America, 1993.
1978 Baseball Guide