1949 New York Yankees
|1949 New York Yankees |
|Major league affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Dan Topping and Del Webb|
|Baseball-Reference||1949 New York Yankees|
1949 New York Yankees / Franchise: New York Yankees / BR Team Page
World Series Champs
Managed by Casey Stengel
History, Comments, Contributions
The 1949 New York Yankees played the 47th season in team history. They finished with a record of 97-57, winning their 16th pennant, finishing 1 game ahead of the Boston Red Sox. New York was managed by Casey Stengel. The Yankees played at Yankee Stadium. In the World Series, they defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers in 5 games.
The 1949 Yankees team was seen as "underdogs" who came from behind to catch and surprise the powerful Red Sox team on the last two days of the season, a face-off that fueled the beginning of the modern Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. The post-season proved to be a bit easier, as the Yankees knocked off the Dodgers four games to one.
Awards and Honors
- All-Stars: Yogi Berra, Joe DiMaggio, Tommy Henrich, Vic Raschi and Allie Reynolds
- Manager of the Year Award: Casey Stengel
|1||New York 1, Brooklyn 0||October 5||66,224|
|2||Brooklyn 1, New York 0||October 6||70,053|
|3||New York 4, Brooklyn 3||October 7||32,788|
|4||New York 6, Brooklyn 4||October 8||33,934|
|5||New York 10, Brooklyn 6||October 9||33,711|
- Sol Gittleman: Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat: New York's Big Three and the Great Yankee Dynasty of 1949-1953, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2007.
- David Halberstam: Summer of '49, Harper Perennials, New York, NY, 2006 (originally published in 1989). ISBN 0060884266
- Roger Kahn: The Era, 1947-1957: When the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers Ruled the World, Bison Books, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, 2002 (originally published in 1993). ISBN 0803278055
- Stew Thornley: "Regular Season Showdowns", Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Vol. 47, Nr. 1 (spring 2018), pp. 85-90.