Gus Edward Zernial
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 2", Weight: 210 lb.
Born: June 27, 1923 in Beaumont, TX
High School: Beaumont HS (Beaumont, TX)
Debut: April 19, 1949 (Age 25.296, 8,146th in MLB history)
vs. DET 4 AB, 2 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1949 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Athletics/WhiteSox/Tigers 1949-1959
Last Game: September 25, 1959 (Age 36.090)
vs. CHW 2 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Died: January 20, 2011 in Fresno, CA
Buried: Clovis Cemetery, Clovis, CA
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- November 2014
- 11/17 The Natty Dugout: Free Agent Fun with Comps: the Left Fielders: This is part 6 of an ongoing series featuring a breakdown of the current free agent players at each position. Positions completed...
News -- July 2014
- 7/2 The Natty Dugout: Remembering Kevin Mitchell: Whenever I think of Kevin Mitchell, I think back to an excerpt from Jeff Pearlman’s book The Bad Guys Won: A Season of Brawling,...
News -- July 2013
- 7/7 WasWatching: Yasiel Puig Vs. Mitchell Page: Guys to have a hot start in their first 31 career big league games: Rk Gcar Player Year #Matching PA AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA ▾...
News -- October 2012
- 10/9 Did The Tribe Win Last Night?: Rosen was a Missed Base Away from Being Tribe’s Triple Crown Winner: By Vince Guerrieri Last week, the Tigers’ Miguel Cabrera became the first major league baseball player to win the offensive...
News -- September 2012
- 9/17 Did The Tribe Win Last Night?: Today in Tribe History: September 17, 1998: Compiled by Jason Kaminski Cleveland outfielder Manny Ramirez ties a major league record by hitting his 6th home run over a 3-game...
News -- July 2012
- 7/4 High Heat Stats: Independence Day Heroics: Perhaps nothing is more quintessentially American as taking in a ballgame on Independence Day. Even better is if the game features...
News -- December 2011
- 12/13 B-R Blog: B-R: HoF Candidate – Jeromy Burnitz: Jeromy Burnitz Jeromy Neal Burnitz Position: Rightfielder Bats: Left, Throws: Right Height: 6' 0", Weight: 190 lb. Born: April...
News -- August 2011
- 8/22 Baseball Musings: Going Deep and Running Fast: David Vincent, keeper of the Tattersall/McConnell Home Run Log for SABR send this list of players who led a league in home runs...
News -- June 2011
- 6/18 B-R Blog: Anthony Rizzo and the fewest hits for a career cycle: B-R reader Zuke posed the following question in a recent thread: "The Padres' Anthony Rizzo has four career hits: a single, a...
News -- May 2011
- 5/16 B-R Blog: Players to hit 40+ homers after the age of 29 who never did it before: Using their seasonal June 30th ages, here are the players to hit 40+ homers at least once at the age of 29 or older who never...
News -- January 2011
- 1/30 B-R Blog: At least 3 times as many homers as doubles in a season: This came up in the comments on another thread, so here is the list. Here are reasons where the batter had at least 3 times as...
- 1/21 Baseball Musings: Zernial Passes: Gus Zernial died on Thursday. Jay Jaffe remembers the slugger: For a long time Zernial held the distinction of hitting the most...
- 1/11 B-R Blog: Mailbag: Biggest Differences Between HR Leader and Runner-Up: Here's a question from Ehud: "Jose Bautista was the AL home run king in 2010, while the second-place HR leader (Paul Konerko)...
News -- August 2010
- 8/18 B-R Blog: Card of the Week: 2008 Goudey #217 Bobby Thomson:
Bobby Thomson's 1951 home run made such a large impact that more than 50 years later, baseball card companies are still issuing...