Otoniel (Franceschi) Velez
(Otto the Swatto)
Positions: Outfielder, Designated Hitter and First Baseman
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 170 lb.
Born: November 29, 1950 in Ponce, Puerto Rico
Signed by the New York Yankees as an amateur free agent in 1969.
Debut: September 4, 1973 (Age 22.279, 11,033rd in MLB history)
vs. DET 3 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1974 season [*]
Teams (by GP): BlueJays/Yankees/Indians 1973-1983
Agents: Jerry Kapstein, previously: Norm Kaplan, Dave Pinter [*]
Last Game: August 7, 1983 (Age 32.251)
vs. TEX 2 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
About biographical information
News -- April 2015
- 4/5 Baseballhotcorner.com: Looking Back On The Blue Jays First Week Ever: As the Toronto Blue Jays embark upon their 39th season this week, letâs turn back the clock to see how they fared many years...
News -- August 2014
- 8/28 Twinstrivia.com: This Day in Twins History – August 28, 1980: An odd game for sure at Toronto’s Exhibition Stadium. The game officially lasted 15 innings and 4 hours and 24 minutes but...
News -- April 2014
- 4/29 Pine Tar Press: This Date In Royals History–April 29, 1977: 1977: Darrell Porter drove in three runs and Jim Colborn hurled a complete game as the Royals won their first-ever meeting with...
News -- July 2013
- 7/25 It's About the Money (Stupid): Random box score of the week: July 25, 1974: For today’s random box score of the week, I decided to go back to the year of my birth, 1974.Originally, I was going to...
News -- May 2013
- 5/8 Jays Journal: Toronto Blue Jays: A History of Great (WPA) Performances: After the Toronto Blue Jays ridiculous comeback from a 7 run deficit against the Tampa Bay Rays where J.P. ArencibiaÂ managed...
News -- November 2012
- 11/24 161st and River: 86 Greatest Moments vs. Boston #19-11: #19 |Â The Brawl | 5/20/1976 In a moment that epitomized the hostilities between the Yanks and Sox in the 1970s, the...
News -- December 2011
- 12/13 B-R Blog: B-R: HoF Candidate â€“ Jeromy Burnitz: Jeromy Burnitz Jeromy Neal Burnitz Position: Rightfielder Bats: Left, Throws: Right Height: 6' 0", Weight: 190 lb. Born: April...
News -- November 2011
- 11/29 High Heat Stats: Highest Ratio of On-Base to Batting Average: In a recent thread, reader mcearlgrey asked about the greatest discrepancies between on-base percentage and batting average. Here...
News -- July 2011
- 7/12 PaulLebowitz.com: Precision Strikes 7.8.2011: Explaining Jair Jurrjens. Neil Paine of Baseball-Reference writes about Jair Jurrjens in today’s NY Times. Is there a direct...
News -- April 2011
- 4/1 The Captain's Blog: Remembering Forgettable Opening Day Performances: (In addition to appearing at The Captainâs Blog, thisÂ post is also being syndicated at TheYankeeAnalysts.) By going 0-5 with...