Positions: First Baseman, Outfielder and Catcher
Bats: Left, Throws: Left
Height: 5' 9", Weight: 155 lb.
Born: November 26, 1871 in Georgetown, MA
School: Brown University (Providence, RI)
Signed by the Boston Beaneaters as an amateur free agent in 1894.
Debut: June 16, 1894 (Age 22.202, 1,776th in MLB history)
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1895 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Beaneaters/Giants/Doves/Rustlers 1894-1911
Last Game: October 7, 1911 (Age 39.315)
Died: July 3, 1952 in Boston, MA
Buried: Harmony Cemetery, Georgetown, MA
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- May 2015
- 5/20 Shoestring Catches: Baseball History: Fred Tenney: Fred Tenney missed one game for the New York Giants in 1908. At 36, the first baseman was nearing the end of his 17-year career...
News -- April 2015
- 4/10 Puckett's Pond: Minnesota Twins: Manager Paul Molitor Off To Historically Bad Start: Run differential is an interesting stat. It can be easily swayed by a couple huge offensive outbursts or a series worth of barley...
News -- November 2014
- 11/14 Rockies Zingers: Rockies Sad Lexicon: With Nolan ArenadoÂ winning his second Gold Glove and DJ LeMahieuÂ winning his first, the Rockies are well on their way to a fine...
News -- July 2014
- 7/22 Elysian Fielders: This Day in Giants History, July 22, 1910: Bugs Raymond Gets Himself Suspended: Bugs Raymond, talented but hard-drinking spitball pitcher, walks the winning run home in New York’s fourth straight loss...
News -- April 2014
- 4/18 Elysian Fielders: The 100: Fred Merkle (95): It was nearly 30 years after the game and, Marianne Merkle remembered, even church wasn’t a safe haven. One Sunday morning...
News -- February 2013
- 2/8 Tomahawk Take: Braves All-Time Team: Ending our look back at Braves history, I now present my all-time Braves team. Â Some players will not be at their primary position,...
- 2/3 Tomahawk Take: Braves All-Decade Teams: The 19th Century: We now enter the early days of baseball, going through the stars of the Boston Beaneaters/Red Stockings. Â The franchise truly...
News -- January 2013
- 1/30 Tomahawk Take: Braves All-”Decade” Teams: 1900-1939: With the news of the Upton/Prado trade starting to die down, the look back at the Braves teams will continue. Â Instead of doing...
News -- January 2012
- 1/12 High Heat Stats: WAAS Experiment #1: Adjusted WAAS: In a long exchange on the original WAAS post, reader Robert proposed adjusting the WAAS method to account for partial seasons.Basic...
News -- September 2011
- 9/26 11th and Washington: From ND to MLB: Billy Burke: One hundred years ago today -- Tuesday, Sept. 26, 1911 -- the Boston Rustlers arrived at Chicago's West Side Grounds for a getaway...