William James Spiers
Positions: Shortstop, Third Baseman and Second Baseman
Bats: Left, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 2", Weight: 190 lb.
Born: June 5, 1966 in Orangeburg, SC
High School: Wade Hampton Academy (Orangeburg, SC)
School: Clemson University (Clemson, SC)
Drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 1st round (13th pick) of the 1987 amateur draft.
Signed June 10, 1987.
Debut: April 7, 1989 (Age 22.306, 13,192nd in MLB history)
vs. DET 3 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1989 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Astros/Brewers/Mets 1989-2001
Last Game: April 8, 2001 (Age 34.307)
vs. PIT 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
About biographical information
News -- November 2015
- 11/18 Did The Tribe Win Last Night?: Lofton, Ramirez Lost Rookie of the Year but Eclipsed Winners: In 1990, Sandy Alomar was named Rookie of the Year. He could have been the first of three Rookie of the Year winners in Cleveland...
News -- July 2015
- 7/27 Gammons Daily: Peter Gammons: Craig Biggio revels in moment as Astros fans rise to occasion: COOPERSTOWN, N.Y.âMain Street was lined at 7 p.m. Friday, lined with people in Houston Astros garb. âI donât ever remember...
News -- April 2015
- 4/2 Climbing Tal's Hill: Houston Astros Predictions For the 2015 Season: With the 2015 season just days away, we wanted to get some of our predictions down in writing before the first pitch was thrown....
News -- March 2015
- 3/13 chipalatta.com: Friday discussion: Guys who fly under the radar: Yesterday, my son and I were driving down a street we frequent 2-3 times a week. Â A long line at a traffic light meant we stopped...
News -- December 2014
- 12/12 chipalatta.com: Free blog weekend: Notes and remaining priorities: As Christmas approaches, Astros’ fans have already received some early gifts. Still, there are some stocking stuffers and...
News -- June 2014
- 6/26 chipalatta.com: Return of Astroholics Anonymous: Back in the piney woods of East Texas a large brick building sits at the end of a snaky entrance road.Â The Bill Spiers Center...
- 6/5 What the Heck, Bobby?: Happy Birthday - 6/5: No future Astros, only former Astros with birthdays today ~3B Bill Spiers (48)A first round pick by Milwaukee in 1987, Spiers...
News -- September 2013
- 9/13 chipalatta.com: Report: Dan P has news on escape from Astroholics rehab: Dan Peschong reports on an escape from the Astroholics rehab center. â¢ â¢â¢ â¢â¢â¢ â¢â¢ â¢ A TV glows in the corner...
News -- June 2013
- 6/5 What the Heck, Bobby?: Happy Birthday - 6/5: No future Astros, only former Astros with birthdays today ~
3B Bill Spiers (47)
A first round pick by Milwaukee in 1987,...
News -- December 2012
- 12/3 Baseball Musings: Hating Sheffield: Kyle Lobner explains why Milwaukee fans dislike Gary Sheffield. Of course, it was Sheffield’s off-the-field act that left...
News -- November 2011
- 11/30 High Heat Stats: My Funky Valentine: oddities from the playing career of Bobby Valentine: As Bobby Valentine prepares to take the reins of the Boston Red Sox, here's a look back at some of the unusual things from his...