Donald Bernard Schwall
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 6", Weight: 200 lb.
Born: March 2, 1936 in Wilkes-Barre, PA
High School: Ypsilanti HS (Ypsilanti, MI)
Schools: Eastern Michigan University (Ypsilanti, MI), University of Oklahoma (Norman, OK)
Signed by the Boston Red Sox as an amateur free agent in 1958.
Debut: May 21, 1961 (Age 25.080, 9,455th in MLB history)
vs. CHW 8.0 IP, 6 H, 4 SO, 1 BB, 1 ER, W
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1961 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Pirates/RedSox/Braves 1961-1967
Last Game: April 12, 1967 (Age 31.041)
vs. HOU 0 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- July 2016
- 7/7 BoSox Injection: Greatest Boston Red Sox comeback win: The Boston Red Sox had a remarkable comeback win in Texas by scoring four runs with two outs in the ninth. In 1961 they scored...
News -- June 2016
- 6/17 1960s Baseball Blog: Comiskey Comet:
Glancing Back, and Remembering Floyd Robinson
Fleet Floyd Robinson was a fixture in the Chicago White Sox outfield...
News -- May 2016
- 5/19 BoSox Injection: The Boston Red Sox new monster: Craig Kimbrel: The Boston Red Sox once had Dick "The Monster" Radatz tossing heat out of the bullpen. Now they have a new monster in Craig Kimbrel.
News -- April 2016
- 4/11 Baseball Essential: Passing the Torch to Yaz: As the 2016 Boston Red Sox season will usher in the final at-bats ofÂ David Ortiz’s career, it will be hard to imagine a...
News -- December 2015
- 12/12 BoSox Injection: Red Sox Rookie of the Year winners: Ranking their careers: The Boston Red Sox have had six Rookie of the Year winners. Just who had the best career? The Major League Rookie of the Year...
News -- November 2015
- 11/15 BoSox Injection: Boston Red Sox Ramirez to first base - I've seen worse: First base is where gloves go to die and the bats go to live and for the Boston Red Sox that certainly was true for one point...
News -- April 2015
- 4/12 BoSox Injection: Red Sox Memories: Opening Day 1962 and a monster bullpen: The Red Sox bullpen has one ingredient missing that has become synonymous with perceived late inning success – a flamethrower...
News -- September 2014
- 9/3 Replacement Level Red Sox Blog: Game 139 Thread – World Champion Red Sox (61-77, Magic Number: 46) at Yankees (9/3/14): First Pitch â 7:05 PM Pitchers: Anthony Ranaudo (3-0, 4.50) vs. Hiroki Kuroda (9-8, 3.88) Notes: Ranaudo looks to be the first...
News -- August 2014
- 8/17 Camden Depot: Ubaldo Jimenez, Walks, and the Play Index: After another disappointing start last night, Ubaldo Jimenez now has a 4.83 ERA (and a 4.89 FIP and 4.44 xFIP) in 110 innings...
News -- July 2014
- 7/14 BoSox Injection: Remembering the Fenway Park All-Star Game of 1961: You always remember your first - All-Star Game that is. Boston's Fenway Park has been host to three of them: 1946 and 1999...
News -- May 2014
- 5/8 The Pesky Pole: First Game in Atlanta Braves History: The Braves are getting ready to start their 49th season in Atlanta. 1966 they opened Atlanta Stadium against the Pirates and brought...
News -- February 2014
- 2/15 BoSox Injection: Red Sox spring training of 1962: My first spring training was in 1962. The Red Sox were part of the Cactus League after vacating Payne Park in Sarasota back...
News -- June 2010
- 6/18 B-R Blog: Games Scores > 63 in first 3 starts of a career: Stephen Strasburg, if I did my math correctly, earned himself another 75 Game Score tonight, giving him two 75's sandwiching a...
- 6/13 B-R Blog: Drew Storen, National hero: Stephen Strasburg just got a huge boost from Drew Storen, who relieved Strasburg with the bases loaded and registered two outs...