Amos Wilson Rusie
(The Hoosier Thunderbolt)
Positions: Pitcher and Outfielder
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 1", Weight: 200 lb.
Born: May 30, 1871 in Mooresville, IN
Signed as a Free Agent with the Indianapolis Hoosiers in 1889.
Debut: May 9, 1889 (Age 17.344)
Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 1889 season [*]
Teams (by GP): Giants/Hoosiers/Reds 1889-1901
Final Game: June 9, 1901 (Age 30.010)
Died: December 6, 1942 in Seattle, WA
Buried: Acacia Memorial Park, Seattle, WA
Inducted into the Hall of Fame by Veteran's Committee as Player in 1977.
View Amos Rusie Page at the Baseball Hall of Fame (plaque, photos, videos).
View Player Bio from the SABR BioProject
About biographical information
News -- May 2014
- 5/4 Baseball With Matt: This Pitching Amos Isn't Too Famous 5/4/14: Hey baseball fans!Many Hall of Famers are unknown to most baseball fans because they either played in a completely different time...
News -- December 2013
- 12/16 James Smyth Broadcast: Sporcle: Leading the League in Strikeouts and Walks: There have been 46 seasons (by 28 pitchers) in which a hurler led their league in both strikeouts and walks allowed. How many...
News -- March 2013
- 3/27 elysianfielders.com: This Day in Giants History: March 27, 1897: Cleveland president Frank DeHaas Robison proposes that National League teams chip in to pay the 1896 salary of New York Giants...
- 3/7 60ft6in.com: F12 Top12 1890-1899: In the 1890s, there was the Klondike Gold Rush, Spanish-American War, the first modern Olympic Games, the pitching distance was...
News -- February 2012
- 2/23 High Heat Stats: Crowning New Strikeout Kings – Fully Normalized Strikeout Leaders: Cy Seymour was arguably one of the best pitchers turned hitters that baseball has seen, yet he remains almost forgotten. Before...
- 2/22 High Heat Stats: Normalized strikeout rates for the top 200 pitchers of all time: I found a straightforward way to redo the normalized strikeout rate study. Check out my previous post on the subject for the rationale....
News -- January 2012
- 1/11 High Heat Stats: WAAS for Pitchers: (For an explanation of the Wins Above All-Star Level method, as well as position-player values, see previous post.)The following...
News -- December 2011
- 12/20 Blog Red Machine: Cincinnati Reds Immemorial: The Gift of Legend Edition: With Christmas less than a week away, people are scrambling to find and buy last minutes gifts or they’re working late in the...
- 12/18 High Heat Stats: Readers' Research: Only Career HR Off of a Hall of Famer: A week ago there was the following comment was posted on our suggestions page by Psychump :I am currently collecting...
News -- August 2011
- 8/25 22gigantes.com: Game recap: SF 2, SD 1: Carlos Beltran blasted his first home run as a Giant and Tim Lincecum helped his own cause with an RBI single as the San Francisco...
News -- March 2011
- 3/18 B-R Blog: Bloops: The Hall of (Peak-Weighted) WAR: Here's a cool link from Adam Darowski: Hall of wWAR: The Hall of Fame Re-Po**** by Peak-Weighted WAR It is exactly what it sounds...
News -- May 2010
- 5/20 B-R Blog: WAR Data: Best Starting Pitchers Not In the Hall of Fame: Yesterday, I looked at the best eligible position players not in the Hall of Fame by WAR, and you responded with your votes by...